Back in February, my John Deere 290GLC excavator informed me that I needed to perform an exhaust filter cleaning cycle. During the cleaning cycle, my intake temperature sensor failed. When it failed, it caused the power supply to both the intake sensor and the exhaust filter temperature sensor to drop to too low output voltage to power these two sensors, thus they both stopped sending any CAN data (522494 and 522495 codes). This loss of data caused the computer to freak out and it went from Yellow engine derate to Red engine derate, which means one legged limp mode. It also means that the machine thinks that an Exhaust Filter SERVICE Cleaning is required and to "Contact your nearest authorized dealer". Today, after days of troubleshooting, I replaced a faulty intake temperature sensor and this cleared both the 52249x error codes. Thinking that I could simply begin again where I left off, I started another exhaust filter cleaning cycle. This cycle is supposed to complete within 45 minutes, but 1½ hours into the 45 minute cycle I aborted the cleaning. The progress bar only reached the 25% completed mark, but at the 1 hour mark, it slowly crept up to about 40% complete, but then slowly crept back down to 25%. Kind of a "Ha, ha, I was just effing with you," moment. Will running and completing a cleaning cycle tell the computer that it was wrong and clear the RED derate? The errors that are left are: 189-31 Engine Speed Derate Condition Continues 1569-31 Fuel Derate (Engine in Derate Condition) 3719-00 Particulate Trap #1 Soot Load Percent Abnormal Update Rate Is there anything that I can do before I have to get a service call from Deere?
This code requires dealer intervention.
The DPF has four sensors that monitor the condition and operation of the filter. Yesterday, I had the DPF cleaned and the Flow Test went from 4 to 2.4 (specs are 2.6-3.1). The excavator still can't complete a cleaning procedure. This leads me to believe that the exhaust filter temperature sensor is bad. Before I drop $400+ on a replacement, I wanted to inquire if there was a monitor of these four outputs that can be observed on the cab monitor. I looked at all of the available outputs, but there wasn't anything obvious. Yes, I understand that 3719-00 requires dealer intervention, but I want to have the machine fixed before I contact them.
This will require a DPF reset as well. The dealer will have to do that also. No, you cannot see those readings in the monitor.
Friggin new stuff, not trustworthy.
Tech came out today. He was able to reset all the error codes. Since the DPF was cleaned professionally, all that was required was a simple regen, NOT the four hour cleaning cycle that a 3719-00 code would indicated. Overall visit was about an hour. I did find out that the thermostats are 160º versions, not the 180º versions that the engine calls for. I'll have to order two of the correct temp versions and replace the 160's.