My dad is looking at getting a 100hp ish size 4wd tractor with a loader, he has on old jd industrial that's served him well so he's looking to stay green. I ran a 2955 10 years ago or so and remember it being a nice tractor that never gave us any issues but it only had 3000hrs or so on it. Is there any major downfalls to them that have popped up with high hours? Other brand suggestions are appreciated and he's looking to spend mid 20k. Thanks. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
We have a 3155 Deere that has served us well over the years. It is a good tractor. They tend to have the normal issues you would expect out of the tractor. If memory serves me right, any clutch/transmission work requires splitting the tractor. This will get rather pricey on labor hours if this needs to be done.
Are there many modern 2WD/MFWD tractors that don't need to be split to service the trans/clutch? I don't know of any, but my experience with non-CaseIH tractors is limited. ISZ
I'm not aware of any tractors that don't have to be split either. I had a bad experience with a 2955 when i was kid, had one self-ventilate practically right next to me. Also i'm 90% sure that 2x55's came in 2WD and hydraulic assist; not MFWD. I'm not a fan of hydraulic assist, and would look for something with MFWD. Another point against the 2x55 as a loader tractor is the dry clutch. haven't seen prices on 4250's but, they are problably too high the way 90's vintage tractor prices have been going.
The one I ran was mfwd but maybe the earlier ones were assist. Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming. Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
For the money you're talking about, you can get alot more tractor than a 2955. I would look for a 4x50 or 4x55 tractor. American built, heavier, more powerful, etc.
I looked at some 41 to 44 50's and 55's but it seems mfwd with a loader puts it in the high 30k + range. I thought the 29's were still U.S. made? Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
29's were made in Germany. Known for high pressure leaks, in which you must split tractor to fix. Cost rises CONSIDERABLY when you have to pull cab to do so. I had a 2950 2wd with cab. Had A/C problems from day one. Must've put 4 or 5 complete systems in the 7-8 years I owned it. Other than that, it was a very solid tractor, never failed to crank no matter the temp. Just not as heavy and as well built as a 4x50 US made tractor.
10-4. I'll do some more searching in the 40 series and see what I come up with. Thanks Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
the new 6000 and 7000 series have their own frame. They are made by the same out fit in Germany as who made the 27, 28,2955 tractors. They are much more than what you are looking to spend, and have a lot of electronics. Had a 2755 with approx 10,000 hrs and traded up to a 6230 premium. The new tractors have a power shuttle. You can still get the quad box if your use to that. They come 2wd, 4wd, cab or no cab. Nice machine, but when it does act up be prepared to shell out a considerable amount of money for service manuals/CD's. These tractor manuals are broken down into 5-6 segments. There is no one size fits all. Proper PM's and good operator can keep many of the issues away. All in all still a sturdy line. Good luck.