John Deere 301SE Back Hoe / Loader Here is a picture of the control valves for the backhoe. The unit with the black line around it is leaking hydraulic fluid this is the swing control. This is the first one of these I have ever worked on so very unfamiliar. My question is can I just screw the par down and replace some “O” rings or gaskets. Is there a spring in side that cap and if so how hard will it be to get it back together? Phil P SR
No big deal to remove or reinstall the relief valve. . Seal kit for the relief valve is part # AT314538 , see pic below. .
Thank you Diesel Dave Now I will see about getting some seals I have looked further and there is also a couple leaking on the front loader control pack. Last question one of the swing cylinders has a damage **** that cause it to leak fluid when it is about 2/3 retracted. How hard is it to remove that cylinder what holds the pivot pin in place? Phil P
The swing cylinders pivot on a trunnion cap that is bolted to the main frame. See pic below. Remove the 4 bolts and move the trunnion cap straight up a few inches until it is clear of both swing cylinder upper pivots.The trunnion cap is heavy and awkward, goes pretty good with 2 people and a couple of pry bars. Using a couple of pry bars again, move the swing cylinder straight up until it clears the lower pivot bushing. .
The online parts catalog doesn’t specify if the loader function reliefs are 7/8“ or 1 1/16“ . You may have to order a mix of AT314539 and AT314538 seal kits.
Hello Diesel Dave I now have 2 problems The picture I too of the Backhoe / loader clearly shows a model of 301SE. John Deere says there is no such model and the part number show they are for a 310E I am unable to locate a data tag Can you tell me where I would find it? Thanks Phil P
The machine serial number tag should be in the area circled in red. Deere also stamped the last 6 digits of the serial number into the frame under neath the tag at the same location. A Deere dealer can look up machine specific details in the Deere system using only the last 6 digits of the serial number. Also assuming the original engine is in the machine ,a Deere dealer can cross reference the engine serial number to the machine serial number as well.
Or post a picture of your machine.
Here is a link to the 310SE parts book. ----> 310E,310SE &315SE Parts Book
Hello mg2361 I don’t quite understand your comment? However I now have reviewed my pictures and find the side I got the model 301 on is different than the other side it says 310SE . Now what is the difference between the 310E and the 310SE? Phil P
clueless2 Thanks for the link. Phil P
Basically the size of the front tires and the hydraulic pumps. Don't pay any attention to any decals on a machine. The serial number is what will tell you what you have.
I thought posting a picture of your machine would help with identifying it, because there is a big difference between a 301 and a 310SE. Now the difference between a 310E and a 310SE would be more difficult to determine with a picture. So, a serial number would help.
Mg2361 Thanks for asking You are correct there is no John Deere 301SE LOL This unit is a 310SE Here is the data tag. Phil P
If anyone is interested in some of the back ground on this 80 year old guy that still likes working on these old dinosaurs here is a link. My wife had a coffees shop for 10 years 25 years ago and I just never did away with her web page and now use it for our personal fun page. Besides what you see there I hold a number of Aircraft, Automotive, Industrial engine and IT certifications. www.sallyscoffees.com Phil P
Hello all To b ring you up to date. The cylinder could not be removed without removing the control stack. There was not enough room between the bottom of the control stack and the bar with the upper trunnion support in it. So, I remove the guts replaced the rod and seals and put it back together and got back in service yesterday 9-20-2023. Phil P
If you want to compare all the specs. This will be from Deere. If you type in Pdf310e or se deere backhoe in your browser, you can open the file and it will have all the specs for your unit just scroll down and all info is there. If you encounter problems let me know and i will send you the link this works for most all Deere equipment.
Hello all Back to the backhoe control valve system. In have 2 cylinders that I know of that don’t work the crowed cylinder and the boom cylinder. The bucket cylinder may or may not work the operator speaks no English the owner apparently has a lack of understanding English this is the reason I don’t have a definitive answer as to whether or not it works. My problem now is in the Repair Technical Manual for Backhoe Loaders models 310SE; Side Shift models 3115SE TM1609 22 FEB 06 (English) section 33 page 47 there is a picture of the valve and cylinder arrangement. This picture shows a total of 6 control valves and 1 steering valve. As you see in the picture there is only 4 control valves and the steering valve. I have confirmed the 2 control valves next to the steering valve are the swing control. That means the 2 valves on the other end from the steering valve operate the 3-backhoe cylinders Bucket, Crowed, and Boom. The actions of the operator make me think he is not sure jut where the control for those 2 valves is supposed to be to make the cylinders work. My question is where can I find in this manual or where can I fined a manual that would show this control arrangement? Thanks in advance Phil P
The Operation and test manual TM1608 only shows a backhoe valve with more optional sections than yours such as auxiliary flow control (one way flow) at one end and at the opposite end auxiliary (extendahoe). Find screenshots from the manual below of the 310SE rear backhoe hydraulic component location and a 310SE hydraulic schematic. . .
Don't use that web site listed just above in post #20 they just tried to charge my card $1,931.72 for that manual.
I guess then is how do they go from using 4 valves to control 3 cylinders to 2 valves to control 3 cylinders?
@Phil P , I am bit confused about your comment in post # 18 “I have confirmed the 2 control valves next to the steering valve are the swing control” What steering valve ? I labeled your pic of the backhoe valve with the individual section descriptions. See below. .
Sorry, Of course I frigged it up ! The correct order be inlet, swing, boom , bucket , crowd ,outlet.
Hi Diesel Dave You make more sense than the manual I have. A couple of pages down show a line going from the side you have marked inlet to steering. Also my manual shows Inlet and outlet on the same end and I can’t see any line on the other end. That may all change when I start taking things apart. Now I do know they have had 2 or three of those valves you can see on the top of the control valve apart. They had me get 4 of the seals like the ones indicated as “ I” on page 56 section 33 and as item “5” on page 57 section 33. I am unsure of just where they put them. They just keep saying they don’t leak now. I am going to have to tell the owner he has to hire someone that knows about cattle ranching and equipment that speaks and understands both language Spanish and English. I have driven 240 miles to get there and back and spent 12 hours just to find out they have 2 cylinders not working and maybe 3. The owner speaks both but I have come to the conclusion that hes is having trouble translating between the 2 and this is on the phone from Panama. I could have accomplished that in an hour and just have ordered a rebuilt valve pack and had the unit going in 8 hours. I would have still driven as many miles. Thanks for your input. Phil
The Deere website does not recognise my machines PIN number, so ordering parts without that reference is a lottery
Please post a photo of the machine serial number and someone will help you.
Are you talking about https://shop.deere.com ? The only thing I can suggest is to use https://partscatalog.deere.com .
A common mistake when loading the serial number is in the beginning of the serial number. Many people put an "O" (Oh) after the "T" instead of the proper 0 (zero).
Hi Thanks for the information this ranch and all the equipment has been leased to a new company and I am no longer involved in the maintenance. Phil P