Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John deere 310 D drive train or axel screwed up cant find where?

21boat ยท 2022-05-02 17:22

I have a 1997 310D John Deere standard hoe , no 4 wheel drive. One day I was in a hurry and backing up and not completely stopped I shuttle shift to forward and heard a big clunk. As I went forward it felt like a hammer hit the bottom of my seat like I broke/ chipped a gear. Funny thing is it takes one tire revolution to hear a loud click under power. If I drift in natural no loud clunk. I dropped the transaxle and found no chipped gears on trans, no metal in gear oil pan. Pulled axels and seems fine. Dropped shuttle shift oil pan no metal. Driveshaft seems fine no bad universal joints. It was hard to locate where the clunk was coming from under hoe in gear moving. Anybody have a clue where to go from here what possibly could be making that sound?

Replies5
  1. #1fastline2022-05-02 22:06

    Man, I would caution about testing with all that inertia of the machine. Take a small issue and make an explosion! IIRC, those have a typical power shift trans? If so, there is likely a fw/rv clutch pack, and planetaries for each gear. it sort of sounds like you popped a planetary but be careful in testing. I might jack of the rear to limit further damage. If you can select a different gear, or fw, or rev, and make things change, you can mostly be assured it's in the trans.

  2. #2mg23612022-05-03 05:34

    Welcome to HEF 21 ! Usually indicates a broken tooth on the ring gear.

  3. #3Vetech632022-05-03 07:53

    Dangit! You beat me to it.

  4. #421boat2022-05-03 09:34

    Thanks all for input, so far checked all gears in Trans no chips off gear teeth. Also checked outer ring gear in both axels also fine. But I did have a little wobble in one of 3 pins holding plantary gear in the axel but not a lot also no chips on those 3 smaller gears.

  5. #5Vetech632022-05-04 11:38

    The differential ring gear