JD 310 E Loader / Backhoe. Transmission, 1st and 2nd gear machine moves ok, forward and reverse. 3rd and 4 th gear, will barely move itself. Brakes appear to be sticking and overheating. Where do I start troubleshooting?
Welcome tomHEF Gary ! Let's start with a complete machine serial number. Transmission oil level good? It is checked at idle with the transmission warmed up.
Welcome to HEF! Gary, your brakes are spring applied and hydraulically released. So anytime you don't have sufficient transmission fluid or pressure then the brakes will apply. Have you had the machine for a while? How long this been going on?
Less than a month, weather unfavorable so haven’t operated much. Have no history on it.
X839318. Yes. Have transmission oil filter ordered
I can't seem to get the transmission information I need from the serial, is your machine a powershift (all speeds selected on the column shifter), or a syncroshuttle machine (4 spd shifter on the floor)?
Synchroshuttle
If you put the unit in 1st forward, release the brake, does it roll? Did you shoot axle temperatures to determine if it is running hot? Does it move OK in 3rd and 4th when cold. If you put it in 1st forward (transmission warm), step hard on the brakes, accelerate to full throttle, does the machine want to walk through the brakes?
I assume you are referring to service brakes not park brake. Many times, i have encountered this problem on 310E. Reach down pull up on brake pedals to make sure they are returning all the way. The pin that goes thru top of pedals can rust and cause pedals to bind and return spring inside brake housing cannot overcome this resistance causing pedals to not return all the way .and keep brakes applied
Wouldn't that be an easy fix! I have not had this problem with my 310E, but it might be time for a little oil on my brake pedal pin just the same.
Yes. And reverse. I don’t have a temperature gun. It is right now. Yes brakes won’t hold it. Question: when I move the reverser lever from either forward of reverse it appears to apply brake. Is that normal. The clutch disconnect switch on shift lever has been disconnected and wires hooked together. Cause and effect? See pic. I have a new switch to install.
I appears the pedals may sag a bit, will check and lubricate pins.
If the machine rolls at idle in forward and reverse when the brakes are released, then they are most likely not dragging. I am circling back to your original post. Are you starting from a dead stop in 3rd-4th?. Technically you should only be shifting into 3rd/4th while the machine is moving, not from a dead stop. In thos gears the machine will struggle to get going. Does 3rd-4th work OK once you are up to speed? That button being bypassed will prevent "on the fly" shifting since that button gets pressed when you make the shift (acting like stepping on a clutch).
Gary, If I might add, your 310E may not shaft on the fly anyway because its a 20+ year old backhoe and the synchronizers are likely worn out. I rarely use any gear other than 1st because of this very thing. Interestingly enough it will shift from 1st to 3rd fairly well because they are on different shafts in the gearbox.
Update: Problem resolved. Parking brake solenoid not disengaging allow parking break to drag. Wiring connection corroded not allowing proper voltage to solenoid. Cleaned, working properly.
Glad you've got it sorted out.