So I got a 2008 john deere 310J and I really don't use it much had it for about 4 years or so. It's been a great machine and it starts right up even when it's 0 out but every now and then it takes maybe 3-5 seconds of cranking. Today I went to start it up I turn the key and always wait for the computer and turned the key and it cranked for probably 8-10 seconds with nothing didn't even try to kick over. Turn the key off and turn it back on and try again and it fires right up. Ran it for about 4 hours today and runs like new it's just That starting issue now and then. It threw a code like 2 years ago and I thought I took a picture but now I can't find it but if I remember if was somthing like cam or crank sensor short I think. It currently has no active codes. It's full of full I service it good so it's not a fuel issue in the sense that it's dirty it's gotta be something electrical. Any ideas? Thanks
I managed to find a screen shot I can't tell which code I had or maybe 2 but I got john deere codes 636.05 636.06 636.08 Hopefully that'll help somewhat
Machine serial number ?
T0310JX167489
Those codes are for the cam position sensor or its wiring. A faulty cam sensing circuit will cause long cranking times. See below on how to clear the code before performing the next step. Swap the cam and crank sensor (they are the same part number) to see if the codes change to a 637.XX. If it changes to a 637 code, then the sensor is faulty. If not you most likely have a wiring issue. Press and hold the menu button until "SERVICE MENU" pops up on the screen. Press next until codes. Record what is active and what is stored. Then clear the codes. See what comes back when you have the issue again.
Okay thank you. One thing I'm wondering now is when I got it I did some jobs then it sat at a friend's farm in a field for months. I wonder if some mice got in there and chewed some wiring
Doesn’t matter where it was parked, they all have mice. lol
Yeah seriously true