A guy I know has a John Deere 310se 1998 that when it is under a load something skips (transmission gear or rear end). It makes a thug noise when it happens. Does not do it in revere (but it is not under a load in reverse). I was told that this may be a common problem with this vintage JD backhoe. There is no noise when just driving around (no grinding or the such). Anyone have any ideas on what the likely problem may be (cost of parts, difficulty of repair)? What are common problems that one would typically see in this vintage of backhoe (with good maintenance)? It has 4500 hrs, 4x4, extend-a-hoe, open cab, all new tires. Everything else is in good condition. It is for sale. What would be a good price? Thanks Art
Welcome to HEF. I have a 310se, no such problem so far, so I can't offer much help. Hard to guess what it might be from here. I think an open cab is not the best choice for Alaska. If you need it for winter work or snow clearing a cab and heater would be mandatory for me, as it is here in N. Ontario. As for price I imagine equipment is more expensive with the long distance to get it there. Until you find out how much it will cost to fix your problem and it sounds like it may well be expensive, you would have to deduct the cost of that diagnosis and repair from what you pay for a similar machine with no issues. Might be better to look for another one especially if you are not a heavy equipment mechanic with a shop and tools to work on it.