have a 310a backhoe temp is 185 on gauge ,the petcock on the side of the engine water is hot when open it ,and block also is hot. Open the radiator petcock at the bottom of the radiator is cold to the touch !! then when you start it up it wants to spit all the water out the radiator when it is cold also thermastat is a 180
Have you taken thermostat out and tested it in 180 degree water? Might be stuck, have even seen new units fail to open. Radiator could be clogged, not allowing water to flow. If you flush it, use Permatex radiator flush.
sounds like your thermostat isn't opening or passages at water pump clogged. Basicly no circulation
Lately I have seen several things that make me think we neglect or radiators. I have a Ford Ranger now with real rusty looking coolant that I am about to change. I seen one radiator in the shop and the inside was so full of sludge and rust it was unbelievable. Water flow could not have been over 5%. These large diesel machines have good cooling systems but the fluid does need to be flushed at least every 3 or 4 years at a minimum. You can tell just looking at the fluid. And if the radiator is partially stopped up I have to think the engine if full of crap also. Removal of the lower hose plus taking the thermostat out and flushing the system backwards with a waterhose is a good plan. My idea is to use the flush chemical first letting it circulate thru the engine etc, then later flushing it out with a hose. Do not put any cold water into a hot engine I just flushed my Case 470 tractor and it now seems to run better than before. The coolant now looks semi-clear; just like it did in the jug. I just think fresh clean coolant is more important that I used to consider.:cool2
can any body tell me if it could be a blown head gasket crack head or block when you start if up water comes out the overflow hole a steady straight stream new right cap new themastat and tested it still let it run block temp gets hot radiator water temp is cold to the touch can not figure it out flushed system about 5 times still a little rust looking water but radiator will not get hot if any one can help please post at dead lock now thanks
what about a broken impeller on the water pump?
I don't know if yours does, but many thermostats have a small valve that allows air bubbles/coolant to bypass closed thermostat when it's cold. If your radiator was clogged up, and your thermostat has this bypass valve, this would pressurize the top of radiator. Take cap off radiator, drain radiator. Then take lower radiator hose off. Place a garden hose in fill neck of radiator, start filling with water. You should see good flow coming from hose outlet at bottom of radiator.
I thought ALL thermostats allowed a small amount if flow when cold. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but the water pump takes water from the bottom of the radiator and as the thermostat opens it returns more flow back thru the top hose. I would guess not, but what about all the dipsticks? Check the oil and see if the level is normal with no milky looking fluid on it. You text is missing periods and commas, and hard to read, but from what I gather it all points to the radiator being at least partially clogged up. If not then possibly the water pump is not pumping or something in the engine is clogged up. I thought all water pumps failed just by leaking. Does anyone have experience with one actually breaking? Is the fan belt driving the pump tight? You could loosen the fan belt and see if the water pump turns freely with no noise. But with water coming out the overflow it just sounds like the water pump is working with the radiator clogged, so that the water level is not dropping as fast as the pump is filling it.