Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310A front axle fell off

ttf5003 · 2019-06-13 07:38

I had a bad day in the woods with my 1976 John Deere 310a. I looked out the cab and saw the front axle had come off. As best as I can tell the whole axle slides onto two pins/bushings. So you have to pick it up and slide it forward toward the front of the tractor. Then there is one bolt that slides through the front bushing to keep it from sliding back off. I found the nut and the bolt was still in the tractor. It wasn't a castle nut and the bolt wasn't drilled for a pin like it shows on the parts catalog. That's probably why it came off. It's sitting in the woods and we can't get to it with a truck. Right now the plan is to bring two folding type engine hoists and pick up the axle at the tire from either side. Then use a strap attached to the bucket to ratchet it forward onto the pins. I'm wondering how perfect it has to be aligned for that to go together. Does it sound like a reasonable plan? Also the two steering hydraulic lines broke. One broke at the hose which is no problem. The other broke the steel line that goes all the way back to the pump about halfway back where it goes under the cab. Would a hydraulic shop have a compression fitting that would fit the line? Even if it is not a long term fix I'd like something I could get on quickly without soldering or flaring. That way I can cap it so I can use the bucket to raise and lower the front end. Basically looking for any advice so I can get this thing back to work. Thanks, Travis

Replies10
  1. #1Vetech632019-06-13 07:48

    WOW...….that's a lot of weight to move around. That's not going to be safe to work on. You will need to remove the tires in order to have more maneuvering room.

  2. #2ttf50032019-06-13 08:07

    Yes, I forgot to mention that we will be able to unbolt and lower the counter weight with the two engine hoists, so that would make the axle much more manageable.

  3. #3Vetech632019-06-13 08:32

    Engine hoists are not going to be stable on that terrain. I would remove as much as possible.

  4. #4colson042019-06-13 09:12

    Wow. Do you have access to another backhoe? Or skid steer? You could then position over the axle, and use chain falls on either side to hoist the axle up. Much more stable than an engine hoist and more maneuverable. I own a 310A so I kinda feel your pain.

  5. #5chroniekon2019-06-13 11:03

    How did you get the counterweight/axle assembly flipped over? (first picture vs second picture)

  6. #6The Peej2019-06-13 11:03

    Can you backblade your way out of the woods?

  7. #7hosspuller2019-06-13 14:54

    Consider doing away with the metal line completely. Pre-made metal lines from Deere are costly... if you can get them. Measure back to the end of the metal line and replace it with hose and fitting.

  8. #8ttf50032019-06-14 05:41

    There's no other equipment up there, I suppose i could rent a skid steer though if it turns out I needed it. It's also complicated by the fact that it's 1.5 hours away, that's why I'm trying to come up with a plan ahead of time. We were able to flip it over with a 6' digging bar and big ratchet straps that I had attached to the loader arms on either side. We actually got the pins lined up within a fraction of an inch by dumb luck. I could back blade out but there's not really a better place to work on it. You're right, replacing the entire steel line would probably be easiest if I can get to it. Thanks

  9. #9colson042019-06-14 06:39

    I have 2 of those steel lines band aided together with a short piece of hydraulic hose and stainless hose clamps. I know it's not right, but it's been that way since I got it, and doesn't leak a drop. That might be a way to help get you out of the woods anyways.

  10. #10hosspuller2019-06-14 09:03

    If you just want to get the machine out of the woods, cap/plug the line at the pump. Remember the line will have full pressure for steering. So you want something to handle it.