Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310A Help needed

anlricks ยท 2009-12-29 21:14

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I was offered a 310a backhoe today with a new engine. The owner said the hydralics were week so he had a new pump installed. When he got it back from the shop it ran for a day then stopped moving. He was told it had an additional internal pump that needed replacing. Before I buy it I would like to know if this might be the case or could it be something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1Phil2009-12-30 07:41

    I'd advise checking the price of new JD parts for that machine first. I will not even consider buying an older JD hoe for that reason. There is a charge pump that supplies the forward reverse clutch packs, and the hydraulic pump also, as I recall. The hydraulic pump has to have a minimum supply pressure/volume to operate. I'm not sure if that tractor has to be split to get to the charge pump, but there are pressure checks that can be done and possibly a pump pick-up screen that can be accessed. Others on this forum have had experience with this, and I remember posts on that topic. Phil

  2. #2WhyWhyZed2010-01-04 09:20

    hmmm...sounds like parts were thrown at the machine with no diagnosis.... I would ask: diagnosed how? and by who? and let me talk to them This chronic conclusion that "if the hydraulics don't work, it must be the pump" is going to cause a lot of good money to be thrown into a machine that could have something as simple as a failed $2 o-ring, or a piece of debris in a relief valve... or, if the first pump failure pushed metal debris through the entire system, it could need a lot of stuff... can't be solved on a message board The machine needs to be diagnosed by a competent tech experienced in hydraulics. Filter needs to be cut open, and basic checks need to be performed including a good visual inspection.

  3. #3dss12010-03-21 03:17

    My dad has a 79 310A that was loaned to a neighbor who got it stuck in between I believe 2nd and 3rd H and broke a gear. The shifting fork was worn but if used attentively was serviceable until neighbor used it. Does anyone know where a parts machine may be located? Engine on ours has been freshened and except for tran. gear is nice old machine.

  4. #4hammer92010-11-11 17:47

    310a backhoe I got a 310 a, It had hyd trouble it was the bolts twist off on the clutch . so the trans would't have the same rpms.