Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310b hoe identified

gunracer1 · 2017-11-07 20:07

I have a 310b I assume was built in 85 by the product I’d tag. I have had an issue with the hydraulics not working. The front end loader would take two or three minutes to raise. The backhoe works faster but nowhere near right. But I could run the backhoe all the way out and still have enough power to lift the back tires off the ground. Well after some more trouble shooting I found I could pull the crowder arm till it hit bypass and the front loader would start working. So I was thinking something was bypassing in the spool valve,We did swap the relief valve and nothing changed. We pulled the valve assembly and pulled the one valve apart. But no smoking gun, it all looked pretty good. But the machine is 30 plus years old. So I figured we would do all new o rings/ seals and put it back together. So now to my new problem, I can’t tell the parts guy what hoe is on my rig. There are two versions, a 9405,and a 9500. I have crawled all over it trying to find the difference or the markings. So anyone shoot me in the right direction?

Replies12
  1. #1gunracer12017-11-07 20:08

    The pin

  2. #2Delmer2017-11-07 22:34

    You need a service manual. To tell the hoes apart, I'd try jdparts.com and see if you can find the difference between the hoes, then see which yours has.

  3. #3gunracer12017-11-08 08:21

    I have a parts manual, and have been looking to see what the difference is. but so far all I find different is some o rings.

  4. #4Delmer2017-11-08 10:05

    then I guess you need to measure those o-rings. The service manual is for diagnosing your hydraulic problems, not telling which hoe you have. The parts manual is better than nothing, but the service manual should explain it fairly well.

  5. #5T-town2017-11-08 18:22

    According to the service man. (TM 1158) all 310b's came with the 9405 hoe. Early 310a's had the 9500 which apparently has a hoe serial plate mounted on it somewhere. Later 310a units and all b's have the 9405.

  6. #6T-town2017-11-08 18:35

    The main diff between the two is pivot function.... 9405has the 2 horizontal pivot cylinders... the older unit has that vertical ( drum/barrel)set up..? not sure how that older system operated.

  7. #7Delmer2017-11-08 18:58

    They're some sort of hydraulic motor. Like a vane motor that only does half a revolution.

  8. #8gunracer12017-11-09 14:38

    t town you the man, thanks.

  9. #9gunracer12017-11-09 19:17

    Well I have a service manual on the way, and an o ring set. I blocked off the backhoe with some caps this evening and fired up the hoe. Well the front end loader still doesn’t work. So I guess I will be checking the relief valve on the front end loader tomorrow.

  10. #10mitch5042017-11-09 19:49

    Disclaimer: I'm a Ford/ New Holland guy, so, I don't know Deere. On a Ford Backhoe of that vintage, If you capped the lines, it wouldn't work. Try hooking them together.

  11. #11T-town2017-11-10 08:58

    I've got the same machine... Will be following along to see what you find. I pulled of the 'block' of hoe valves, some were leaking pretty bad(external) , and had a service guy go thru and freshen up all the o rings. But no other symptoms/problems prior to the freshen, just hyd oil all over the bottom end. I assume forward/reverse functions normal? And the sump/pickup screen was checked? This one is a pain to do...

  12. #12gunracer12017-11-15 15:00

    ok I hooked the lines together, nothing. I pulled them apart and capped them, went back to barley working. I went buy the deere house and picked up the new o rings, 66 bucks later I left. I hate paying for those fancy store fronts. this hoe doesn't seem to have to many hours on it. everything seems to be unmolested. the screen in the sump didn't seem vey dirty at all, filters looked pretty good also. I got the manual in yesterday so I will start checking it out when I get back from Colorado next weekend..