Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310J Need Bucket Cyl. Rod

widetrackman ยท 2018-12-07 03:07

I sent my JD 310J bucket rod off to have it re chromed due to scoring. Well, company returned it as un-repairable as it was bent .250 out of round. I have been looking to no avail for a aftermarket rod as JD wants around $1350 and aftermarket cylinders about $1400. I recently discovered a nice oem bucket cylinder off a JD 310 SJ. I know the rod and barrel are abet larger but do not know if it would fit or over power the frame. I have not had hands only pics. Does anyone know if the cylinder would work it is a AH219683 or where I could get a good Rod AH209082. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2018-12-07 13:50

    Making a new rod for your cylinder is a simple routine job for any shop that services hydraulic cylinders. I would suggest that you take your gland and nut or bolt with you and have them reseal it and install the bolt or nut on it.

  2. #2jimg9842018-12-07 16:23

    probably rebuild seals and use you was using before taking off

  3. #3widetrackman2018-12-08 15:52

    I called a shop that makes Rods, they said would cut my eye off and weld it on new chrome shaft. How would they make the eye square with shaft and on center line? Sounds like a butt weld, not sure I like. Do the original oem eyes a recessed hole that the rod is inserted in and then welded? If so can you buy oem type eyes? This guy wants $500 rod (42"x50mm) only, out the door. Thanks

  4. #4Hobbytime2018-12-08 15:57

    thats their job to make it square and work, nothing some simple lathe work wont accomplish, pay with a credit card so if they screw up you have some recourse, better yet see if they can put it back together and guarantee it for some amount of time..

  5. #5widetrackman2018-12-08 16:10

    The cylinder has (2 ) 1 1/4" x 1/8" long vertical scores thru the chrome. There is a 1 1/2 clear (ok space between them). Cylinder had not started leaking. I am concerned that being bent .250 that the head and piston would eventually damage the barrel as well as the seals. Replacing seals is no big deal if I catch before barrel got damaged. Maybe I am over thinking this but don't want future problems and down time, then again its about $$$. Thanks

  6. #6jimg9842018-12-08 22:21

    if it were mine rotate rod 1/2 turn and reuse,, probably out last me, of course reseal, clean make sure rust is out of the gland nut where the large oring goes

  7. #7Tinkerer2018-12-09 11:30

    $500.00 is a fair price, compared to the ones I have had done. Mine looked factory new when I had them done by two different shops. I wouldn't risk the having the old rod bending or breaking. Especially if something hit the rod to cause the gouges.