Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310SJ Front Axle

bclayton · 2019-12-13 12:23

Working on a John Deere 310Sj. Replacing seals on the right front for the hub and axle leaking. I'm having a difficult time getting the axle out of the hub to replace the seal in the back of the hub. Is there a special tool or any tricks? Thank you in advance

Replies4
  1. #1mg23612019-12-14 06:17

    Welcome to HEF bclayton ! Serial number?

  2. #2Canadian_digger2019-12-14 08:20

    That axle is held in with a Snap ring. You need long snap ring pliers. I made my own out of old set of pliers and two screw drivers. I had to put a slight bend and grind the screw divers for clearance about an inch back from the tips.

  3. #3Canadian_digger2019-12-14 08:35

    It’s been a couple years since I did that repair and it’s coming back to me. There is also a snap ring that I use a screw driver to open. I just put a flat screwdriver and twist is 90* then you can pull the shaft out. MG might have other tricks or a better way to do it. As I’m not a mechanic I’m just an owner doing my own repairs.

  4. #4bclayton2019-12-14 22:38

    That snap ring is a real bear. It took 2 of us with a multiple screwdrivers and picks but we got it out.