Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 317 Need Help

HandyGlock17 ยท 2014-05-26 19:44

Hello everyone, I am new to heavy equipment and I have come upon a problem with my skid steer. Its a 2006 John Deere skid steer and has 1800 hours on it. I was running it today and heard a *pop* sound while driving it. I noticed all the wheels on my right side stopped working. I immediately shut off the machine and got out. I saw that it was leaking hydraulic oil underneath the machine. From what I have read online it may be the gear pump: http://johndeeremikanix.blogspot.com/2013/03/gear-pump-failure-313-and-317-skid.html But I would like to raise the operators station to get a closer look at what may be the problem. Is there a way I can raise the boom manually? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1joeblow2014-06-11 00:08

    I think there is a cable to manually lower the boom on the right hand side.Once that is done you can raise the cab. Let me take a wild guess and say you have a clam shell bucket.The engineers at deere chose not to install a circuit relief valve in the aux section,When you run the bucket into a curb the pressure spike comes back and blows the charge\hydraulic pump apart.You may end up buying a whole hydrostatic pump as the charge pump is part of it.If you have a good hydraulic shop in town you might be able to source replacement parts for just the charge pump.

  2. #2HandyGlock172014-06-12 00:50

    Hey joeblow, Thanks for the advice. Here's what we did. The John Deere 317 needs to have the boom raised in order to lift the operators cabin. Now with the hydraulics out we didn't know how to raise it. We found out what you said about pulling that cable to release pressure in the hydraulics. We also unscrewed and drained the oil in the hoses that went to the boom just to make sure it had no hydraulic pressure in the lines stopping us from raising the boom. Unfortunately we didn't have another piece of equipment to raise the hydraulics. So what we did was place 2 bottle jacks under the rear pivot pins of the boom. We slowly raised the boom pumping up both sides evenly, bracing, adding cinder blocks under the jacks, and slowly raising the boom. We eventually got it high enough to put the boom lock on under it. Then we were finally able to lift up the operators cab. We discovered the problem was that a hydraulic hose for the right drive had blown right at the hydraulic pump. Apparently the previous owners had replaced it before and whoever made the hose for them didn't do a very good job (they didn't crimp fittings on the ends correctly). The hose was also a 3/4" hose rated at 3500 psi while all the other hoses from John Deere coming out of the hydraulic pump are 5/8" hoses rated at 4000 psi. In short all we had to do is get another hose and replace the blown one. Just to be safe we refilled the hydraulic system with new oil and a new hydraulic filter. Thankfully we have it up and running again.