I have a JD318D that I've been using to install a septic system. It has manual controls--joysticks for steering, foot pedals for raising and lowering the boom arms and tilting the attachment. My son and I were working to clear out some large rocks from the jobsite. When he placed some in the bucket, a small boulder--about 6" in diameter fell into the cab. I put the park brake on and tried to reach it, and pressed against the lift pedal and stalled the engine. When I restarted it, the lift pedal didn't work... it pushes back and forth, but with no resistance and doesn't operate the boom. The right pedal for the tilt still works. The boom was up approximately 10 inches so we were able to load it and bring it back to the shop. We want to raise the cab and pull out the plastic "tub" so we can see what the problem is. We tried to raise the cab, but the boom arms are in the way. We can lower them with the hydraulic pressure release, but are concerned we still won't be able to lift the cab. Is there a way to lift the cab if the arms are down? Thanks for any help available... Utah Smitty
I don't think you can lift the cab with out lifting the boom first. And if I remember correctly the tub really won't come out with the boom down.
Thanks for your response. My son and i tackled this project this evening. With the boom all the way down, the cab will lift, otherwise it hits part of the boom and won't swing up. The big challenge came in getting the plastic floorboard out... it pushed against the steel hydraulic lines on the right side of the boom and the pedals on the floor, but we were able to finally get it out. While working on this we discovered that all of the lug nuts on the front left wheel were finger tight and that the holes in the wheel were wallowed out... gotta find another wheel. Some of the studs were banged up a little, but I think if i chase them with a die they'll clean up fine. Anyone know what the stud size and thread pitch is? Regards, Smitty
Welcome to HEF Utah ! 5/8" dia, 18 tpi (fine thread). I personally would replace them.