New to the group, I'm having issues. I've got a 2013 John Deere 320D SN 1T0320DKJDG240729 that's got me spitting tacks. Starts and runs great, hydraulics won't engage and brake won't disengage. (All done with the same parking brake release switch) I fought it all weekend last weekend and then Sunday night for no reason whatsoever it started working again, today not so much. I do have an error code "000168.04 — Unswitched Power Input Out of Range Low" that intermittently comes and goes, went through the troubleshooting in the tech manual and there appears to be no issue. Except I think the language in the manual is wrong, it says to check continuity between the pin connector and the fuse, if there IS continuity you have to fix the wire.. would seem that it should say IS NOT vs IS. Anyways, voltage checks at 12.6v. Brake release solenoid on the pump functions, switch appears to work. No other active codes. I'm thinking it's a Lockout issue because Noth the brakes and hydraulics don't work. This happened shortly after I opened everything up and washed 9 years of mud and grease from inside the machine. Just prior to this happening I received an error that the left drive speed was intermittent, then this brake not disengaging issue. I've pulled every connection and gave them all a bit if dielectric grease and went through the troublesottong for the codes listed. Last Sunday when it started working I ripped it around a bit and had no issues or codes. Today it's not working. Of note, I noticed that the ECM box side cover was pried up at some point and isn't sealed. It's possible moisture got in there when I washed it... its removed and sitting in the sun now, hoping if there is moisture it will dry. I'm at a loss, figured I'd try here before breaking down and calling the green dealer. Any words of wisdom?
Welcome to HEF Kory ! Any other codes in the stored section? When you sit in the seat and lower the seat bar, does the seat bar light go out followed by the seat belt light (this light takes about 5 seconds longer)?
Yes it does. No active codes. Stored codes, there are 14, some very old as I dont know how to clear them without the JD hookup. HCU 168.04 unswitched power input low HCU 1595.02 left speed sensor input erradic or bad data (happeded just before the interlock issue) HCU 522449.16 left pump reverse sol current moderatly high value. (Popped in once right after I washed it) JSL 2697.14 left joystick x-axis see manual (popped in once right after I washed it) ECU 107.00 engine air filter switch data above normal The rest are at least 50 operating hours old, not sure how long they are stored.
Did just check the ignition switch. I fail the final test for continuity between pin 3 & 5 in the start position. Not sure of that amounts to squat tho.
By the wiring schematic, it may amount to squat. Igniting switch ordered.
Press and hold the menu button until "Service Menu" appears in the screen. Scroll too codes. You will now have the choices of "Active", "Stored" and "Clear". Clear the codes. Yep
Thanks, I'll give that a shot tonight!
Codes clear. HCU 168.04 came right back. Suspect ignition will resolve. On another note I got more menus to click through!
I got updates... new ignition installed. Same code, same issue. I'm at a loss and thinking maybe the control module but im not dumping 1K to check. Any thoughts before I call the green dealer?
Found some info on the data screen.. see pic's. If I check the wiring going into the HCU its 12.6 not running. Im thinking outloud but I gotta chase that wire and find the current drop... before I throw any more parts at it.
I hated those D series machines so my suggestion is to kill it with fire... I know it's not helpful but throwing it out there just in case
Im now lookong for matches.. Ive got good voltage at the switch. At the fuse and at the plug. Does anyone know where the diagnostics center reads voltage from??
You have 12 volts to the HCU plug L1 terminal? Is that checked while backprobed or with the connector unplugged?
12.6 at the HCU plug L1, unplugged.
And just for shi*s and giggles... I checked voltage at L1 to ground at L2 of the HCU plug 12.6 volts. I'm slowly leaning to the HCU module is the culprit. But... at $1,200 I kinda want to be sure.
Just for sh$ts and giggles, check the little red wire that is molded into the positive battery terminal. I don't think this is your issue, but worth checking because it has been an issue with those machines. Give it good tug. Does it pull out? Check that HCU unswitched voltage at the same time while you are tugging and wiggling for change. Regardless of the outcome, I would recommend cutting that wire, putting an eyelet on it and connecting it to the positive battery terminal pinch bolt, under the nut. If the little red wire has no issues, then check L1 plugged in and backprobed. Ground's L2, M2 and M3, backprobed also. While you are at it, check the switched voltage (A2, M1 and M4), even though the monitor reads 12 for switched. If everything checks out, then I would agree you need an HCU.
All check SAT. I've got Deere coming this week to get the fix started.
And, maybe not the HCU. I just started it and it ran like it should. Unswitched HCU voltage was between 9-10v which is too low, shut it off, back to inoperable. Uncle.
Not uncle. I started it, switched the display to read HCU voltage and worked the wiring harness to see if it moved up or down. It did not, but when I tapped on the HCU the unswitched voltage definitely fluctuated. I'm offically calling it the HCU and biting the bullet. Will post again with results
Updates. HCU replaced today and reprogrammed by Deere. Machine works. Its exactly what I thought it might be but didn't want to admit due to parts cost. Deere technician said he was impressed with the troubleshooting and told me it probably saved me about 4 hours in his labor. Thanks to everyone and I hope this post is useful to someone down the road. Kory