Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 323

BobH52 ยท 2021-10-21 07:57

We have a John Deere 323D that is hard starting. Does anyone have a schematic on the glow plug or preheat system or a picture of the component location for the relays and such. Thanks in advance.

Replies6
  1. #1mg23612021-10-21 12:09

    The glow plug relay is mounted under the cab on the left side under a tin cover on the rearward side of the fuses. The glow plug relay should be the 2nd one from the top. The glow plug fuse is at the bottom of the stack of relays. Serial number? Is this a new issue or has been starting hard for a while? Make sure the battery is up to snuff. Slow cranking can affect the cam position sensor and make starting harder. Any codes (active or stored)?

  2. #2BobH522021-10-21 19:48

    It has been starting hard for a while. I don't run this machine, I noticed it was starting hard the other day when I went to do some service on it and was told it has been for a while. The battery is good and It isn't showing any codes that I know of but I'll check tomorrow when I get to the machine. And also get the vin # because it doesn't have the fuse box you show. Mine is on the right side near the seat. I do have another problem, it wants to jump into gear especially the right lever. I replaced the lever shocks and that helped but it sometimes doesn't return to neutral or stay in neutral. I'm not sure of the adjustment for the levers against the rollers on the valves or if there should be clearance at the rollers and I do have a slight leak at the seal on the right valve.

  3. #3mg23612021-10-22 04:50

    Sorry, should have been more clear. The fuse/relay box will be on the left when you are looking in with the cab raised. If it has been a while then there may be more to this than the glow plugs. They rarely fail on those engines but they do sometimes fail. What engine oil is in this engine. If it is not 0W-40 synthetic it could be as simple as that. That will be an adjustment. It is also possible that the bushings (behind the centering springs) and guides (on the forward sides of the centering plates) are worn out as well giving you this issue. No gap between the rollers and the linkage.

  4. #4BobH522021-10-22 07:55

    Yes I do have some wear in all of the rubber guide bushings.

  5. #5mg23612021-10-22 11:58

    Not the rubber bushings. The bushings shown below (times 2 for the plate not shown).

  6. #6BobH522021-10-23 08:08

    Yes the circled ones are the ones that are wearing. Also, as for the starting problem, I have no active codes.