Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 325G oil in cylinders

Texasbr · 2025-04-17 21:47

Have a John Deere 325G that came in, motor would not crank over. Tried to turn it over by hand and found it locked up. After removing pump and confirming it wasn’t the issue, I pulled motor and found large amounts of oil in the turbo and intake. Removed injectors and turned the engine over which blew the entire cylinders out of engine oil. 250 hr machine, pulled head and have yet to find anything indicating the cause of the hydrolock. Customer did say he was working on steep incline with grapple and it did roll forward to where he caught it and was able to save the tip. Killed machine afterwards to take phone call and machine was locked after. Never described poor engine performance or excessive oil consumption. Could I be over looking a blown turbo seal? Any suggestions of something else that could cause a engine to flood cylinders with oil on such a low hour machine?

Replies5
  1. #1Texasbr2025-04-18 23:45

    No one wants to take a shot at this one?

  2. #2laidback012025-04-19 02:23

    I ran a small bobcat skidsteer for about a day or three. My most memorable experience in that sonofabitch was trying to pickup a tree rootball and tipping the machine forward into the hole to land on it's face. It didn't die, nope... it started revving up. As I was new, to using equipment, I tried to just turn the key off to prevent overrev... I didn't realize that diesels are shut of by lack of fuel, and that oil (from the crankcase) is a crazy powerful fuel and the engine doesn't care you shut off the main diesel lines. I eventually came to the braindead understanding that I had just gobs of power and was able to tip the machine back onto it's wheels. my point to this story: the engine in this skidsteer was at an odd enough angle that oil moved from the crankcase and some how made it into the all the pistons. I say all because that machine ran smoothly and very very high rpm for a diesel and seemed like it wasn't going to stop revving until I tipped it back on it's feet. So, if the tip angle did that to me.... is it possible that the steep incline had a similar effect? did he leave it on the incline to take his call? the oil some how manages to fill up one cylinder after another... I'm not sure how that works... but I do know piston rings are good at preventing high pressure blow by, but not so good at preventing low pressure leaks. sorry it took such a long story to get an idea across.

  3. #3Vetech632025-04-19 08:30

    Sounds like the machine was turned over and sat that way for awhile to me.

  4. #4HarleyHappy2025-04-20 08:12

    How many times, have we who fix things, been told a fib on how a certain incident happened and its severity, only to find out later they were lying their ass off on how bad they screwed up. In other words, we very rarely get the whole complete truth on what happened and we have to be Detective Crusoe, to get to the bottom of the extent of the incident, to fix the underlying problem.

  5. #5Vetech632025-04-20 08:30

    Fixed this for you