Replaced a starter in a 332 and afterward it will start briefly, then die. If you hold the starter switch on, it will then fire back up after a second or so. It acts like after it starts the ECM tells it to shut down. But hold the key on and it'll fire up again and run fine. It has fault codes F9P8 (park brake) and F974 (alternator overcharge). The customer says they "bypassed" the park brake safety when they couldn't get the brake to release. The customer can't remember if the fault codes were there before I replaced the starter. I didn't notice them before I changed the starter, but I was in the machine only a minute and the customer was talking to me... so I might have missed them. I started it three times before changing the starter, and it fired up pretty quickly with no pause. But the starter was turning very, very slow. I then checked the connections and all were good. This is a fertilizer company and everything there is super-rusty, I figured the starter was just corroded and replaced it. Spins right up now. I did check the charge before replacing the starter and it was 16.2 volts. Too high, but I figured that was just charging after being started several times in a row.
I would say no to 16.2 volts charging. Alternators charge according to sensed voltage coming from the batteries or wherever the alternator is tied into. If alternator has bad connections to battery power and ground they will charge at maximum to try and refill the batteries even if they are full or empty in terms of charge. If the internals of the alternator are faulty you will have too much AC power leaking into the batteries and computers do not like it and can even shut down. Best to clean up all battery positive and grounds including frame , cab and chassis . Cables need to be checked also under load to verify there is not too much voltage loss. By the way what model of 332 is it and how many hours. Simon C
Thanks, Simon. I cleaned the battery terminals and the frame ground while I was there as just normal starter replacement stuff. I suspected the alternator's voltage regulator was bad and I told the customer as much, but it's planting season and they don't want the machine down again if they can help it. Thanks again.
Oh, the 332 has about 3500 hrs. It's a 2006 model. Serial #: T00332B128983
If it is still charging too much they may get to have an unexpected stop with a hefty bill to add to it. Understand they don't want to shut down, but rest assured it will eventually do it on its own is my experience. Better to test Alternator for AC leakage and make decisions based on quality diagnostics. Simon C
Press and hold the menu button until you are in the Service Menu. Scroll to diagnostics, press select. Scroll to Valve Spool, press select. What does it read in the monitor?