Hello, I am having an issue with my JD 35d excavator the engine cranks very nicely and seems plenty fast, battery is good, when hot the machine won’t start without a tiny blast of ether, when cold it seems to still crank longer than what I would think is normal even on a hot day approximately 5-7 seconds of cranking. It seems like it is not getting fuel. Does not sputter or anything just cranks. My inline fuel pump is making a noise but I’m not sure it’s working. When I loosen the screw on top of the water separator the pump changes sounds a bit and the hole pulses but nothing comes out. When you replace the screw the pump goes back to sounding normal, no fuel comes out housing at the water separator. The machine runs perfectly once running. Any insight or ways to test this issue would be appreciated.
Please supply a serial number of the machine. Are any of the fittings entering either the water separator or the fuel filter loose? That is because the water separator is on the suction side of the fuel transfer pump.
Hi MG, SN FF035DX235537 machine is 2005. Thanks for telling me that hole is on the suction side. Is there any other bleeder on the system? I was trying to bleed it from there so I imagine I loaded the system with air and should confirm it’s out.
The fuel system on that machine is self-bleeding.
Hi MG, that is convenient I guess, any way to verify if it’s getting the required fuel while cranking? Seems fuel related as it’s not an issue when given an extremely small shot of either fires in less than one revolution..
Is the air intake system clean?
Hi Mg, I have not replaced the air filters since getting the machine but they look pretty clean.
Were the fittings on the both filter heads checked to see if they are loose?
Hi, I checked the fittings and inspected the hoses which are all secure
is the fuel shutoff relay working when the key is in the start position?
Since the fittings are tight, my next recommendation would be to check the electrical. Backprobe the white wire at the fuel shutoff solenoid. Do you have voltage at the white wire when the engine cranks?
Hi MG, yes both the fittings on the water separator and filter are tight.
Before we continue with fuel issues, let's eliminate the fuel shutoff circuit as I mentioned in post #11.
Hi Mike and MG, when I click the key on I get about 9 volts only for a second at the white wire going to solenoid then nothing, also nothing while cranking. When I add power to the system using my battery charger on jump mode I get 11+ volts for a second, nothing while cranking but the machine starts almost immediately. Possibly just a weak battery? I was also reading somewhere else that these solenoids are sensitive to power and won’t work unless they have enough. I will take the battery to the local auto parts for test and likely will replace it with the biggest battery I can fit in the tray.
Perhaps new cables would help...I know you said in first post fast cranking. Just replaced the cables on our Deere 50d with heavy welding cables, hard starting: fixed. Not a mechanic, just my own experience. I tried to fit a group 31 in our 50d, but just not quite enough room. So went with a group 27 (biggest that would fit with minor modifications) You are getting very good help from actual mechanics! Best of luck, those are nice machines!
Voltage for 1 second is normal. It is controlled by a timer relay and it only energizes the fuel shut off pull in wire for one second. Check your messages.
Hello, New battery installed, machine is cranking faster however it still will not start without extra power supplied or a tiny spray of ether. MG, I reviewed your message about the theory of operation and checked the fuses. All good there. Not sure where to go now.
You could remove the fuel shutoff solenoid and try starting it to see if it starts right up. You will have to either key off and shove the solenoid back in or pinch off a fuel line to shut it down. Best to have a helper for this one.
Hello MG, I pulled the solenoid, it seems to actuate just fine. Retracts as soon as the key comes on, extends as soon as it shuts off. Still the same condition, no start unless a tiny snort of ether and it fires up and runs perfectly. As soon as you push on what the solonoid pushes on, the engine shuts right off.
Also the battery is a new 700 cca. The engine starts like new car when I add 70 amps with my battery charger.
If it did not start with the solenoid removed, then I would keep pursuing a fuel delivery issue. I suggest placing clear fuel line (make a loop out of it) on the supply side of the injection pump and another on the return side. Run the machine to see if there is any air entering or leaving the fuel system. Then aftyer shutdown, does the fuel get sucked out of the supply side?