Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 35D Swing Motor Rebuild

aardquark ยท 2024-05-24 12:52

As the title suggests, I am in the middle of a rebuild of the swing motor. Everything looks in good order, I'm just planning on a good cleaning an reassemble with new O-rings. But I have a question about the lowest bearing, which runs outside of the hydraulic fluid envelope. It looks like there is a screw in port for that area, but no grease fitting. I'm inclined to just pack that bearing with wheel bearing grease, and am looking for advice, comments, etc .

Replies2
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-05-24 15:19

    A Deere 690E excavator has a similar swing drive setup with the swing pinion bearings are outside the hydraulic fluid envelope. The 690E manual calls for lithium grease which is basically what wheel bearing grease is.

  2. #2aardquark2024-05-24 22:00

    Thanks, Dave. Since the pinion turns at a fairly low speed, that will probably last a long time (until the oil seal starts to fail and the hydraulic fluid starts to wash it out).