Hello folks. I have an old John Deere 400 backhoe, industrial style tractor with the backhoe and loader add ons. I loaned it out and when I got it back had a flat and blown arm hyd hose, so I let it sit, for too long. it sit for 2-3 years and I decided to get it back in operation for the ranch use, replaced the hoses and dumped the hyd oil(some water) and replaced that, cleaned the tube screen and the paper filters. now, it runs like a top, goes in reverse fine, but it will not move the tires in forward, I raised and blocked the tractor off the ground, rear tires work fine in reverese, will not even attempt to move in forward. I removed the nut cap over the shuttle valve and can see the detent ball and feel the shaft move, on top of that assembly is 2 test ports, both move oil when I move the shuttle lever, I do not have a gauge to see the pressure at these test ports, (shuttle assembly located under the right foot between the brakes and the frame) any ideas?
Thanks for all the support and input. what a friendly and helpful site. Signed, Leper.
what gearbox is it Leper I have an old chamberlain hoe which john deer bought out the chamberlain company & phased out the chamberlains & phased in the john deers & for a few years the m/c's were a bit of a hybrid - what year is yours roughly - my chamberlain has a borg warner velvet drive for the forward / reverse - if your is similar there is plenty of info available for that box (they use them in a lot of boats too) couls be just a piston sticking or some crap in it to cause the piston to stick. Jimbob - Leper freindly
i have a john deere 310a backhoe that does something very similar,reverse engages as soon as i put it in gear,but when i switch to forward for the first time,it takes about five minutes to engage,but once it makes the initial engagement it,s good to go for the entire day,no clutch slipping or anything.put a gauge on mine on the reverser,and sure enough no pressure for about five minutes with it in gear,then all of a sudden, pressure goes to 150 and i,m good to go,will have to split it and figure it out one day,but for now it,s just an inconvenience.
Jimbob - Leper freindly[/QUOTE] thanks, my deere is late 60's or early 70's I appreciate your reply and thanks for the pointer. mine has the shuttle shifter on the side, under my right foot, I have added some Marvel mystery oil and now, I have slow tire rotation in forward with thetractor suspended. nothing like rear tire rotation, I assume that I have a shuttle valve/piston/stack that is not being user friendly.
I assume that my shuttle valve/stack/piston is not transferring as it should, was just looking for a couple pointers, you may try some marvel, best juice in the world, has revived many pieces of equipment for us. put in my Ford backhow for the same thing, slow to shift in forward, and it was off to the races.
There is some good juice available - thats for sure - would be good to know exactly what the gearbox is though - sometimes they have a plate & serial number on them - when i looked up mine it said it was supposed to have ford type transmission fluid, lucky cause i probably would have put GM stuff in it which would have stuffed it good (someone may have already done that though cause it is pretty slippery). I will need to pull out my box & rebuild it $500 for a set of clutch plates & some o-rings etc. When mine gets hot or low on oil nothing much happens. Fair chance my chamberlain is fairly similar to yours. The john deer model immediately after mine usually had a perkins 4-270 in them over here - after that they had some of their own motors among others - so gearboxes could have varied too.
There's several gizmos inside that reverser valve, could be something sticking, could be something gone awry as well, could be a blown gasket, those things had a funky cut out gasket, hard to say. Do check all your linkage to insure fwd is being engaged fully at reverser valve.
Another thing that could cause problem is hard o-rings on reverser oil lines inside tranny. If I remember correctly, pipes #8 and #9 send oil pressure from reverser valve to fwd/rev clutch packs, have o-ring seals where pipes connect.
been away for a bit, I rebuilt my reverser, new gaskets and O-rings, even new ringed the pipes listed above at the same time, nothing................now, I don't have forward or reverse........... anybody know about the charge pump in these?
What does the charge pump do? Is it just another name for the main tranny oil pump that makes the oily bits work? Or is it a small transfer pump?
that is my question, since now, nothing works in the shuttle shift/tranny
The "charge pump" may also supply the charge pressure for the main hydraulic pump, but it first supplies higher pressure to the shuttle. I don't know the 400, but other Deere backhoes use the transmission/charge pump to feed the hydraulic system. If it feeds the hydraulics, and the hydraulics work, then that tells you something. Do you have the manual to go through the pressure tests for the reverser?