Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 4045HF285 Low Power

Birken Vogt · 2025-02-25 00:43

Have a 4045 in that is low on power. Genset engine, 1800 RPM fixed. HPCR but no EGR or anything, Level 16 fuel system. I just did a diagnosis on it today, Texa. It runs out of power at about 66% of rated load. When I have it just below the 66%, Texa is telling me that it is at 95% load. If you increase load beyond this it will say 100% load. Rail pressure is something like 13,000 psi and does not change much from commanded but when it is starting to fall off, rail pressure will be slightly less than commanded. I did a return/leakage test on the pump and injectors and both were on the failing side of marginal but not gross. I know the fuel system has had a dirty life and had a 30 micron filter installed by mistake for a long time. I was able to do a test on a similar new unit the other week so have some baseline measurements on what one in good condition will do. It was pretty much maxed out at near 100% load reading when it was putting out 100% of rated load so I know the engine is pretty tapped out in this application. I am trying to do this as economically as possible so the idea is to only replace what is needed to get back to (near) full power. My thought is that the injectors are returning more than they are injecting and that the elevated leakage from the pump itself is not the major concern because it is still able to maintain rail pressure under the most load that it can handle. Thoughts?

Replies11
  1. #1thepumpguysc2025-02-25 02:21

    Just for diagnostic purposes, put a 30 micron filter in it to see if the smaller filter is choking off the fuel delivery to the rail and pumps.. Couldn’t hurt.

  2. #2Birken Vogt2025-02-25 02:25

    I thought about that, but wouldn't the rail pressure be falling off a lot if it was a fuel feed problem?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2025-02-25 02:36

    One never knows unless one tries..

  4. #4Vetech632025-02-25 08:08

    Come on...........Ide trust TPG with my wife. OK well...........maybe not that, but everything else!

  5. #5Birken Vogt2025-03-05 21:05

    Got a Chinese rail pressure sensor, was fixing to install it, son took it out and handed it to me looking like this. Looked with a mirror up into the rail, looks the same in there too. I don't think we will be going much farther with this poor thing, it has been used and abused too much.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2025-03-05 21:32

    It looks like black plastic pieces.?? Where could it be coming from.??

  7. #7Birken Vogt2025-03-06 01:00

    Up close it looks more like the trash that would stick to a magnet from a rear axle. I don't know if it is metal or not, but there is so much of it, I don't care either. It's right dead center of the fuel rail so it has to be coming from the pump, headed toward the injectors. It will all need to be replaced and I am not certain of the condition of the base engine either because after I dragged it out of the weeds where it rotted the last few years the engine was real tight. But after finally getting it to start it has been mostly normal except the light smoke and low power. Years ago I had to replace the pressure control valve and rail relief and I remember thinking the fuel system was dirty inside back then.

  8. #8Birken Vogt2025-03-06 11:41

    Tell us how you get parts for cheap over there. I think I remember some of these being marked made in Turkey.

  9. #9Birken Vogt2025-05-08 01:04

    Finally getting parts together for this thing. Turns out the black stuff was metal, lots of water in all the fuel parts after disassembling the whole rail, it had like water lines on the components. We can get the pump and injectors OEM Deere, Deere reman, Alliant reman, or Chinese from ebay or Fridayparts, in declining order of price. Same story with the injectors. Fuel rail is cheapest at Deere, probably because they do not have the volume for aftermarket to make imitations. I would love to go cheapest on the pump and injectors, but have heard that even pencil injectors from there can be bad. Not so sure about common rail parts being any better.

  10. #10Birken Vogt2025-06-11 23:08

    Finally got it all back together. Pump was used and greasy from ebay but with a good return policy. Used rail from Wengers. 4 reman injectors from Alliant. All steel lines new from Deere. After bleeding everything out, started right up. Makes 92% power, no codes. Not sure why it is a little low but I think it is acceptable especially at my altitude. I commissioned a brand new one a couple of months ago that would only go to about 105% at a lower altitude so I am not too worried. It now has a pump that is yellow, a rail that is dark green and lines that are bare metal all on an engine that is tan. The entire old fuel system was gunked up with garbage. Flakes and chunks and coating. The good thing is we got a rail and a pump for disassembly and education going forward. Since no core on a used pump.

  11. #11Bendiesel2025-08-22 17:57

    Run seafoam through it direct to the injection pump and change filters