Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410

Kgh65 ยท 2018-04-28 18:10

Have a 1979 jd 410 and the minute we start it antifreeze bubbles out of the radiator .Leaning towards head gasket problems .Any other ideas

Replies11
  1. #1old-iron-habit2018-04-29 21:27

    I would start there. A visual will tell if its a cracked head or possible block problem when you get it apart. Was it overheated lately?

  2. #2Kgh652018-04-30 05:02

    Yes it was

  3. #3Kgh652018-05-07 19:43

    Took the head off today found nothing wrong with head gasket .going to send head out to be checked

  4. #4Kgh652018-05-12 07:55

    Machine shop called today and said they found nothing wrong with the head . Any ideas on what to look for next .No oil in water or water in oil just pressure in cooling system

  5. #5Willie B2018-05-12 08:21

    Has it frozen?

  6. #6Willie B2018-05-12 08:28

    Cylinder sleeves can get a corrosion hole if anti freeze doesn't get changed often enough. On compression stroke you get pressure with minimum oil contamination.

  7. #7Kgh652018-05-12 09:07

    Don't know if it has frozen but liner orings where changed a few years back

  8. #8Tinkerer2018-05-12 10:23

    Does the machine shop specialize in checking heads for defects and damage ? In my area there are machine shops that do head work, but I would not trust them to do a proper inspection on a head that came off of a machine with gas bubbling in the radiator. I see from reading your posts you have worked on different machines. Just curious if you operate a repair business.

  9. #9Kgh652018-05-12 11:37

    No business just work on them

  10. #10Blake132020-02-13 12:17

    Any update on this? I realize this is an old thread, but I am going through the exact same thing with my '79 410. I haven't taken the head to a shop yet. Thanks, Blake

  11. #11mg23612020-02-14 05:08

    Welcome to HEF Blake13 ! Should have started a new thread. Anyway, you could be looking at a head gasket, cracked head or holes in your cylinder liners. First thing I would do to give you a clue is drop the oil pan. Pressurize the cooling system and look up into the engine to see what cylinder the coolant is coming from. When you determine the cylinder move that piston to top dead center and see if the coolant is coming out of the liner (not a foolproof method as the liner could be cracked near the top). At least when you have to pull the head (and you will have to pull the head) you will know which cylinder to scrutinize.