Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410 not going up hill.

Supramk3man · 2022-09-24 19:13

Back again with another issue, I have changed all filters and cleaned the trans screen. New John Deere hydraulic fluid and not sure where to turn next. It does ok on flat ground but a very small incline it stops pulling. It will hold itself on the hill the more rpm’s do not change the out come. It doesn’t feel like clutch slipping from my experience with cars and trucks. Any ideas? 1978 410

Replies12
  1. #1Delmer2022-09-24 19:42

    Which gear?

  2. #2Supramk3man2022-09-24 20:11

    I have tried 1 and 2 gear

  3. #3mg23612022-09-25 05:48

    It could be the hydraulic portion of the clutch adjustment. First check the rod that goes from clutch pedal the transmission control valve. The roll pin that connects that rod to the transmission likes to start falling out making that connection sloppy and could affect the transmission operation. If the roll pin is there and tight, then start with the complete clutch adjustment.

  4. #4Supramk3man2022-09-25 16:47

    Got to work on it alittle today, I have no issues backing up it pulls up very steep hill even in forth. But turn around I can’t get it to even make it half way up in first.

  5. #5showrguy2022-09-25 17:52

    Check that rod that mg mentioned.. Mine was doing the same thing years ago, it ended up being the rod going from the bottom of the clutch pedal was sticking just enough to keep the clutch pedal from fully returning.. Cleaned it up, a little PB Blaster, and it worked better than it had in years.. Hook the clutch pedal with you toe and see if it pulls up alittle more..

  6. #6Supramk3man2022-09-25 21:20

    I will check that out in the morning, would that explain why it can go fine in reverse but lack the ability to go up a incline?

  7. #7showrguy2022-09-26 09:46

    Mine was the same way, reverse seemed normal, wfd was iffy, and eventually got worse..

  8. #8Supramk3man2022-09-26 12:32

    You was right the pin had worked it’s way about half way out. Put a new pin in and clean the area , sprayed it all down with or blaster. Thanks big time

  9. #9aighead2022-09-26 12:36

    You guys are incredible.

  10. #10showrguy2022-09-26 14:25

    Glad you got it figured out..

  11. #11Delmer2022-09-26 14:30

    She works? glad I kept my mouth shut on that one!

  12. #12Supramk3man2022-09-26 15:41

    Was very lucky for a easy fix and very thankful for the input I was at rope end with it.