New to this Forum. Tried to search the forum with keywords JD 410 and adding transmission issues but the search would return just transmission issues and not include the words JD 410 or any combination saying it was "too common" and I'm having difficulty finding any posts related to my issues. We have a 1982 or 83' JD 410 backhoe (I think they were manufactured from 1971 to 1983, S/N: 314893T ). Tractor goes forward and reverse in low range, as soon as you go to high range, Reverse works but "kicks" (think of like popping the clutch) hard, sometimes will stall the tractor and is not smooth, but forward slips for about 3 to 6 seconds and then grabs (meaning tractor starts to move like the clutch is slipping, then you feel a slight kick and then it grabs). Tractor will not go forward up a small grade in forward 1st Hi range or any other gears in HI, just keeps slipping, but in low range it will and when going in reverse still "kicks" hard. We just ordered the manual set (Service, Parts and Operation manual set). The previous owner, had the clutch pedal stop taped up so that they would push in the clutch all the way to the floor all the time, I can move the clutch pedal all the way down with my arm not using full force (and I have a permanent rotator cuff shoulder injury which limits the strength in my shoulder but am still able to push the clutch pedal all the way down without using a lot of force from my arm). Furthermore...according to lots of different forum posts, should be able to shift gears by putting the "shuttle shifter" in a neutral area between forward and reverse on shuttle shifter and not have to use foot clutch pedal, it grinds gears so to speak when trying to do it that way...I also cannot find any clutch pedal play before the throwout bearing would touch the pressure plate as most tractor clutches require this. Would anyone have a general idea where I need to start looking at?
Welcome to HEF trblfindsme ! Oil level good? If so I would start with the clutch adjustment. That clutch has an adjustment for the physical clutch and a "hydraulic" clutch. Both those adjustments have to be right before proceeding. When you get your tech manual TM1037 go to section 50 subsection 10-6 for the mechanical clutch adjustment and section 50 subsection 20-8 for the hydraulic clutch adjustment. Mechanical clutch MUST be adjusted before the hydraulic clutch.
Thank you for the kind welcome mg2361. Hydraulic Oil level was good, we just topped it off a little. Ill follow your suggestions, keep thinking this over and over, to me if it was a vehicle, I would suspect a worn pressure plate, but I am not all that well versed in TLB's, Ill follow your clutch pedal adjustments etc. and see if that resolves it. Thanks again.