Hi everyone. I have a 1987 JD 410C backhoe and I’m having issues with the starting system. I’m trying to locate the neutral safety switches but I can only see one for the reverser behind the battery box. Can anyone tell me where the other one might be? To my recollection I’ve never had to have the machine in neutral or the clutch pedal depressed for it to start but it blew a fuse a couple times last year and I ended up running two wires to jump it at the starter just to get me by but now I want to fix the issue. I wish I could remember which fuse it blew but unfortunately I can’t now. I’m following voltage now and the drawings show two safety switches and I only see one. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to HEF Northern Fox ! I only see one neutral start switch. Post up your schematic so we can take a look.
Thank you! I’m glad resources like this forum exist and that helpful people such as you are willing to share your expertise with others. I appreciate that. I snapped a photo of the diagram I’m working from and the neutral start switches are illustrated on the lower right, where the screwdriver is pointing. Maybe I’ve got the wrong diagram but most of the rest of it seems to match my machine. Thank you for your quick response.
410C has only 1 neutral start switch. The 610C has 2 neutral start switches. I think the page just got mislabeled and was included in error.
Thank you for clarifying that for me. I won’t keep digging for another one now and I’ll put some panels back on and do some testing at the relays and so on to find the problem. It seems like a relatively simple wiring arrangement so hopefully it’ll be reasonably easy to find and repair. Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question.
Check your Messages.
Thank you for sending that. It’s a lot more thorough than the diagram I was working from. I’ve saved it so I can navigate my way around it while I’m working on the machine and I printed a copy for the binder for the backhoe. I haven’t participated in many forums like this so I’m not familiar with how everything works but I appreciate all the help. Thank you again.
I did some checking and I’m struggling with tracing voltage. I have voltage at the neutral start relay when I rotate the key to the ”start” position but the wire numbers don’t match the drawing. My + comes from the key switch “start” position, runs to the fuse, then through wire #22a to the #87 pin at the neutral start relay. The drawing shows that it should go to #30 through wire #22a. Do you know if there were changes made for different model years of the 410c? Mine is supposedly a 1987. I can get by in wiring but am by no means proficient. None of the wiring has been altered and it used to work fine. It hasn’t been worked on by anyone but me for probably 20 years So I know that nobody else made any changes since the last time it functioned properly.
Possibly, changes could have occurred. But not by model year. Model years mean absolutely nothing in the equipment world. The ONLY thing that is important to track change is the machine's serial number. Check your messages for more info. Do you have voltage at point 13 on the schematic I sent you when you crank?