Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410E

redprospector ยท 2014-04-24 13:29

First post here. I'm looking at a 1998 John Deere 410E 4x4 extendahoe. The planetary gears on the left rear are pretty much trashed. I'm wondering if the rear end on the 410E is the same as a D, or C series? Or if there is a good aftermarket source for these parts? Or if there are any tractor salvage yards that may have these parts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-04-24 13:32

    Nope, anything older than a E model uses a transaxle and reverser.

  2. #2redprospector2014-04-24 13:46

    Thanks, It's a municipal machine and the guy that's over it said that the dealer priced the parts at a little over $9000.00. But he's wanting a new one so those numbers may be to influence the "powers that be". I'm just trying to see if there are any other options out there so I have an idea what I can bid when it comes up for auction.

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-04-24 14:09

    Search http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/partsSearch.aspx?guid= for AT184406. That's the whole axle and there are a few listed. I also searched AT179449 which is 1 complete side housing w/ planetary. Both avail at R&K in AZ. Call them and check price.

  4. #4Deeretracks2014-04-24 14:12

    $9k should be for a complete reman axle assy from the dealer.

  5. #5redprospector2014-04-24 23:26

    Thanks for your help! This information will help a lot, and with my other equipment too. The maintenance supervisor wants to replace everything...both sides. He feels that if he repairs one side, the other side will go down in short order. I think that if the one side is replaced, and new bearings put in the other side it should be about as good as new. What do you think?

  6. #6Deeretracks2014-04-25 01:02

    No problem, always willing to help. It's tough to say w/o inspecting the axle. One thing about Municipal machines is they usually spend a lot of time on asphalt. It means they may look nice but all that traction can really be tough on things especially if the operator is in love with 4x4 or the diff lock. Those aren't the toughest rear end's to begin with. If it were mine I'd do 1 side and inspect the other. But look real hard for wear/fatigue.

  7. #7redprospector2014-04-25 01:22

    The machine is apart in their shop. I took a look at it the other day and the right side looks good. But I know looks can be deceiving. A bearing race broke on the left side and took out the planetary gears. I'm going to call R&K in the morning for a price on the left side. Thanks again, and wish me luck.

  8. #8redprospector2014-04-28 22:59

    Well, I guess I won't be buying this machine right now. Our little village of 700 people couldn't afford a new one right now, or the price from the dealership. So I decided to help them out with the information you helped me with. I had called R&K Friday and got a price on a rebuilt rear end. Then with the bind they were in, I passed the info off to them, and they ordered it today. I guess I'd rather have water and sewer than their backhoe right now. There will be another one come along before too long. Thanks again for all the help.

  9. #9Deeretracks2014-04-29 00:00

    Good job! There will be another coming along. Your good karma will bring you a 410G for a great deal instead....