Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 4120 fuel injector problems

Wes Jackson · 2020-05-03 01:27

I replaced the fuel injector assemblies in my brothers tractor, got it back running and changed the oil and filter because of fuel in the oil,ran it for a few minutes and it ran fine, checked the oil level and it is way over full and has fuel in it,Thanks for any help. Engine is a 4024t

Replies9
  1. #1mg23612020-05-03 05:40

    How about an engine serial number? Did you replace just the injectors or the pumps and injectors? Is this an electronic engine? Is the engine running fine? If the engine is running without a misfire then it is not likely the injector lines or pump plungers. The only other places would be the fuel transfer pump (most likely) or the o-rings around the injection pumps.

  2. #2Wes Jackson2020-05-03 07:37

    I replaced the pumps and injectors, it is a mechanical engine. The injection pumps, this is not the correct name, slid in with little resistance. the engine seemed to have a slight miss when we first cranked but was running better the longer it ran. We only ran the engine a few minutes before it filled the crank case with fuel,to the point it was coming out of the dipstick!

  3. #3thepumpguysc2020-05-03 08:42

    Wes, the lift pump/supply pump is a known weak spot on those engines, if its the mechanical type that works off the engine cam. Make sure its not hydro. fluid..

  4. #4Wes Jackson2020-05-03 09:57

    Thanks, it is fuel,no doubt about that, did not have this problem until after changing pumps and injectors.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2020-05-03 11:42

    There’s a easy way to check the pumps & supply pump just so yer not throwing parts at it.. Take the inj. pumps back out n put air pressure to the inlet n dunk the bottom in water n look for bubbles.. Same thing w supply pump.. just block off the outlet.. I hope that helps.. good luck n let us know.. Don’t make me come up there.. lol

  6. #6Wes Jackson2020-05-03 13:05

    Thanks, the injection pumps and injectors are new so I am leaning towards the supply pump, it dumped a lot of fuel in a short time and I am pretty sure we did not mess up the o rings when we installed the pumps, did not have to force them in, Thanks again for the help and you're welcome any time, we'll throw something on the grill!

  7. #7mg23612020-05-04 05:03

    Did one of the old injection pump shims stick to the block on removal and end up under a new pump (double shimmed)?

  8. #8Wes Jackson2020-05-04 05:54

    Good question,hadn't thought of that!

  9. #9Wes Jackson2020-05-04 21:06

    pumpguy the supply pump is bad, new one is suppose to be here tomorrow, I will let u know if that fixes the problem,Thanks for the advice. MG I have not checked the shims but I do not think there were any, if pump dose not fix it I will look, Thanks for the help from both of you!