I'm in Texas and I've been looking for a dozer for a while to use on a ranch, deer lease, etc, and I'd like to find something that I can move on an equipment trailer. Budget is $15k or so, tops, but would really like to stay at or below $12k. I've been waiting for a decent Cat D3 to show up in that price range, but they're all $20k and up unless the engine is blown. I see John Deere 450's that need some work for $8,000 or so. And a very nice one will set you back around $14k. I'd like a 450C if possible, for the more powerful 4219T engine and wet steering clutches, but I wouldn't turn down a nice 450 straight or 450B. Any thoughts on these machines in general? Any areas of concern besides the obvious (undercarriage, steering clutches, etc)? I hear engine mounts and crossmembers can be a concern. On the blades, the machines with the 6 way blades seem to bring a bit more $, but the angle blade seems like a good option as well. There's also a 450C nearby that I could pick up for $2k, but the injector pump is MIA (it was running before the pump was removed), it needs an undercarriage, and I don't know if it moves or steers (current owner doesn't have any history and it hasn't moved since he's owned it), so it could just be a parts machine. Probably more of a project than I want to take on at this point. Thanks in advance for any input. Scott
There are others on here that know way more than I do on JD dozers, but from what I have been told, the G series of dozers was the first series that is most like a modern dozer. Dozers prior to the G were based of of an ag tractor. That's not necessarily a deciding factor, but it might help steer your decision. I was in a similar position as you, looking for a dozer for around the ranch. I ended up buying a JD550G. It has been a great dozer, but a little heavy to pull around with a 1 ton. For me, I definitely prefer the 6 way blade.
Son has a 450B trackloader we got w unknown history. It’s been a pretty solid machine for 50yrs old. Deere still has parts available. I would say to go with “C” or newer as that’s when they had wet steering clutches which require less frequent adjustments. Neighbor years back had 450C dozer that I used- nice running machine. My son also had an International/Dresser TD7. He still kinda wishes he had it. Parts were found through Komatsu. The TD7 had a “decel” pedal which I found really nice…if you wanted to work close to something, you could slow down easily. It also is torque converted- if you came against a load, she’d squat down and just push. The Deere, with clutch and shuttle transmission, will stall out the engine against a load.
Yep, I'm hoping to find a C. There's a TD7 that's not too far from me, but I don't know anything about 'em or parts availability. Thanks for the input. Scott
The later model stuff is going to be out of my price range. Thanks
On the JD dozers I personally would go no older than a 450C. The 450D and 450E were also good but mechanically they were very similar to the C just with a little more power. 450G was a clean slate design and a much better all around unit IMO. I'd also look at the Case dozers, I've had great luck with mine. Again, I'd go no older than a 450C Case, and preferably the later model Case 450C, which will have the serial number prefix GBE. The 550 and 650 Case machines were also very good, as were the 850D and up. For reference the 450C Case is just a little smaller than a 450C JD and an 850D Case is a touch larger than a 450G JD. All the aforementioned Case machines will have either a 3.9L or 5.9L Cummins.
Not seeing many older Case dozers around here. Most of what I see is Cat, followed by JD. There is a Case 850B that's not too far away for $10k. "Ran when parked" 6 years ago after it busted a hose. And here's a new one for me -- the seller wants a $1,000 refundable deposit fee just to take a look at it.
Not all parts will be available for a JD450C but there should a bunch of used machines around to get most parts. Need to make sure the transmission works properly as it is very expensive to fix. The $1000 refundable deposit just to look at a machine is ridiculous! I'd guess a way to discourage tire/track kickers. I'd also look at Case. Have seen 550's for a reasonable price but could be over your budget. They have Cummins engine like mentioned above. Not sure about parts for an IH dozer. I think for $15K anything you find will need some work. New undercarriage forget it. Would cost almost as much as the machine. Might find something that just needs some TLC like hoses or leaking cylinders with useable undercarriage.
Yep. There's a JD 350B that's not too far from here. Waiting on a price, but it needs sprockets and track chains. Sprockets aren't bad but chains will set me back a fair bit.
You usually need to replace sprockets and chains as a set or everything will have a much shorter life. Sometimes just the sprockets can be replaced but chains need to be in pretty good shape.
Yep, that's what the plan would be. Thanks
Found a TD7G nearby; said to have only 1,200 hours and looks nice in pics, but the asking price is $18k, and that's too much for me.
Made the deal on a JD 350 today. Ended up with a 350 because of the weight; should be about 12k operating weight and I can legally move that with my buddy's 2022 F350 SRW and a good equipment trailer or move it almost legally with my 1991 F350 crew cab dually, 7.3 idi, ZF5.
Good luck with it, I hope it's a good machine for you. I forgot about the Texas SRW one ton! Isn't it something like TXDOT goes off what the whole rig is rated for regardless of what is actually loaded?
Yes, it goes by the rating. If it's rated for over 26,000 lbs, you need a CDL unless it's farm use within 150 miles.
They'd have to pay me to take that pile of junk. Along with free trucking to move it.
Yeah, it's a parts machine at best.
I think the 350's were known for the hyd. reverser leaking into the transmission. Somebody put loader pads on that dozer. Single grousers would have a lot more push. Does it run and operate? How is the undercarriage?
Yeah, they do appear to be loader pads, and they need to go. I'm inclined to go with single grouser pads. The rails look good, I forgot to check the pins, the sprockets are very nice, and I'm not sure on the idlers. They don't look beat up, but I need to measure them to see if they're still within spec.
Might find used grousers or you could weld grouser bar to the existing pads.
It's a thought. The pads aren't worn out and thin so that might work.
Buyer beware of Gray Market Mitsubishi Cat dozers out there. Deere had the small dozer market for 40yrs lot em out there
Most, if not all of the small Cat dozers/loaders were made in Japan by Caterpillar Mitsubishi. Not sure what's different on gray market machines. Guess they'd be all Japanese writing on them.
Mitsubishi machine & engine with a Cat valve cover same problem as Komatsu's 21 some 31 no USA parts suppliers.Late 90's Peterson Cat disowned all sold new at 1 time Cat/Mitsubishi el240/300 excavators,dozers etc after Lot of em made the auctions end up on some property use til needed repairs & disappeared
It would be good to see if a gray market machine looks the same as the Cat machine sold in N. America.
Gray market Cat D5 engine 3046 3050? or Mitsubishi S6S
D3 gray market 3 cylinder
I was at the shop yesterday and I checked the pins. They're good; just some minor wear and they haven't been turned.
Good luck with your purchase and make sure you leave us a link, to watch the saga!
I definitely will, but I have to put some stuff back together before I tackle this. '69 Bronco 3 speed trans and 360 for my '72 Javelin road race project both need to be reassembled.
Kool kids run triple bar for grading
Nice looking machine.
Not mine had a 3j d2 manual 6way blade
Bulletpruf, There is a JD Crawler website online,which is good for info & parts: JDcrawlers Messageboard The 4 ton BD2/BS3 Mitsubishi Dozers previously mentioned were well made machines. Made in both Powershift & Gearbox configuration. You can easily get engine parts,steering & brake parts & undercarriage is common thru China. There's probably enough of them around to find other used parts.
I actually posted a thread there about 5 days ago, but no response. I also joined a few JD crawler groups on Facebook that seem to be fairly active.