I recently purchased a 1975 JD 450C at auction. I have downloaded the manual for the machine and completed basic maintenance. The issues are the transmission filter behind the grill is not connected( I see how it show be connected per the manual) and there is are couple lines that are capped off coming from behind the fan. I believe they are transmission lines since all functions on the blade work. From looking at pictures I think the lines are supposed to run over by the the alternator and fuel pump but not real sure and just guessing about that. Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Welcome to HEF PoorHayguy . The steering pump (that I circled in red) on your picture is not used on a 450C. The machine is either a 450 straight or a 450B. You have a machine serial number #?, maybe take a picture of the tag. .
Diesel Dave, Thanks for the response, you have already told me more than I knew. I was not thinking that was a power steering pump. Based on your information and the serial number, I’m guessing it’s very possible this is not the original engine to the machine. This first picture is of serial number from engine, the second will be from the machine which was attached but broke off the front of the battery box. Now excuse me for sounding elementary but could those lines be capped off and the 450C operated without issue?
Does the steering valve under the operators seat look like the one in the screen shot below ? .
It does
I would try and take the old steering pump off the engine. The pump may seize and cause damage to the engine.
Thank you for your assistance. I did trace the lines from the steering hydraulics and the line ended at the transmission. I’ll see what I can do. Have a great weekend
Make a block off plate like #13 . .
Thank you that’s an excellent idea. I’m going to see what I can fabricate.