Anybody know much about this.I had tranny done 5yrs ago($8500) and put a few hundred hours on it.Someone told me about a manifold problem they had.I was hoping a Deere Guy on here might have a few thoughts.I was even told to overfill the tranny with oil. Let me know....
You can put a pressure gauge in there to check it out. Remove the plug thats on top of the transmission case cover and then remove the allen socket plug thats below it. Its near the area where the heels of your feet are when sitting in the machine. It is 1/8" pipe thread, so a good method is to adapt a gauge to fit onto a grease gun hose(without grease in it !!) The pressure should be about 150 psi in all speeds, hi, low and reverse. If reverse reads low, then it sounds like it has to come apart again. Any slipping in forward??
no. it pulls hard ahead in both ranges. Just gets hot and won't pull in reverse and it is always in a bad place to go forward in.
The 450's were noted for the manifold problems you mentioned. Basically it is a cast iron block with a clutch shaft that passes through it. The manifold is drilled for oil passages and the shaft has corresponding holes with metal sealing rings to separate the passages. The rings and or the shaft wear grooves in the manifold and then leakage occurs when warm. I believe the manifold is available on the aftermarket but the shaft is not last I knew. If you have other questions or need parts, feel free to contact me directly. Steve. www.pdmechanical.com
Thanks Steve. Are there parts available for this? I haven't pulled it apart yet as i was looking for another one that was good to use and keep this one for parts.
Parts are readily available but can be expensive. Steve