I have a 1985 JD 450E Long Track Dozer. It runs fine for about 10 minutes then st throttles down and there is no throttle control and most of the time it dies and sometimes is hard to restart. I have changed both fuel filters which seemed to help but it is still bogging down and stalling. Does anyone know what could cause this?
Sounds like it is starving for fuel. Is the filter full of fuel when it dies. Check the transfer pump, and all lines from filter to transfer pump, and lines to tank. Also there is a filter in the tank where the line to pump goes into tank. Also if you need any info, I still have the full factory service manuals, parts manual, and operators manual for a 450E. Leftover from way back when we owned a 450E.
The filters are full of fuel. I changed the square glass one on the side of the engine and the fuel/water seperator one under the seat. There is a valve under the tank with some kind of bowl on it, when I open the valve fuel comes out. It was open when I first got it and I never noticed any fuel coming from it before so I closed it and now when I open it fuel comes out. Could there be air in the lines? I could use the manuls, how much do you want for them? I can PayPal you.
is there a screen in the inlet of the injection pump?
Have a look at any banjo joins between the tank and filters,I've had them block before
Check in the return line from the injection pump for small black granules. It sounds as if the pump has had the disc inside come apart and the parts clog the return line causing the pump to not provide fuel. Does it restart after about 10 minutes? My 450c, and my 2, 410 backhoes did this when the injection pumps needed rebuilding. rick
Where is the injection pump exactly? It will usually start right back up but it does crank more then usual.
on the left side of the engine as you sit on the seat, it is the unit with the 4 metal lines going up to the injectors in the top of the engine. On top of this round pump there should be a steel line that comes out and routes back to the fuel tank. this is the bypass overflow line from the injection pump. The lift pump for fuel is on the other side of the engine before the filters. When the pump starts to go bad a fiber disc in the inside of the pump breaks down and clogs the return line fitting. A telltale sign of this problem can be small black rat pellet size particles in this line or fitting. If you find these you should plan on a rebuid of the injector pump. I was able to remove the fitting on top of the pump, clean it out by briefly starting it and then replacing the fitting and line. It then got me back to the house. rick
Take the elbow out of the tank at the shut-off valve a screen screws into the tank there,seen lots of them plugged,check out the link.item 6.
Stupid question but did you check the tank breather? It may be clogged... Had this happen on a Western Star tractor once....
Had the same problem with my 455E, VERY simple fix on mine hopefully same for yours, found a mud wasp had plugged the line on the breather. On the fuel tank there is a line that runs down and terminates along the side of the tank, blow it out and see if it fixes the problem.