Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450G

Price ยท 2017-08-27 23:32

I am trying to find the vent for the transmission on a 1988 John Deere 450G. I keep getting a puff of air when I remove dipstick and want to make sure vent line is open. Thanks Kenny

Replies4
  1. #1DMiller2017-08-29 08:21

    Had not worked that part of later units, buddy of mine thought his was just a few inches from the dipstick along the outer edge of the main case. Inconspicuous and small looking like a blind or blank fitting. His was blocked up with crud when he removed it but that was some time ago and his machine long since sold to someone else.

  2. #2Price2017-08-29 19:36

    Thanks. I have looked all over the top of the transmission case and cannot find anything. A John Deere service manager said the system was a closed system and did not have a vent. Anyway I am getting transmission fluid on top of the case and I believe it is coming out around the shaft that the steering linkage connects to. I replaced the left seal and it dried up. I replaced the right seal and it is still leaking apparently. I thought the pressure maybe causing it. I need to check pressure on transmission filter assembly but dont know the correct pressure.

  3. #3DMiller2017-08-29 20:02

    They would know best, Some of the old hydraulics systems were not vented so the system could build internal pressure and keep any moisture out, kinda thought it rather a bad theory cause at some point it will cool off and then suck like hell around seals.

  4. #4Price2017-08-30 17:03

    I found a note in back of the owners manual that states this machine has a closed system to keep out trash and it is normal for there to be a puff of air when you remove the dipstick. So this agrees with what you said. Thanks.