Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450G crankshaft seal replacement

1tomcat ยท 2014-10-14 13:42

Just now starting to enjoy my first dozer...then it decides to start leaking. I assume its the crank seal. Belts wet, oil sling witness mark under cowling in front of motor. Looking for any absolute do's and don't as I consider trying to beat a $1000+ repair bill at a shop. 1997 450G 4050hrs

Replies4
  1. #1TXGOAT2014-10-14 15:37

    Be sure it's a seal problem first. Be sure oil level is correct (correct dipstick) and that all crankcase breather devices are working properly. If the crank pulley has a bolt to secure it, look for any evidence of looseness. While it probably is a seal, you may get lucky.

  2. #21tomcat2014-10-15 12:15

    Thanks...I'll check the basics. Found it at the end of the day. Cussed, then locked the hood back. I will check all these things, hoping for something positive.

  3. #3excavator2014-10-15 14:52

    It's a fairly easy job but you will need a special tool for replacing the seal. What's in there now is likely a wear sleeve on the crank and then the seal. The new seal will be a 1 piece seal, (wear sleeve and seal together) which requires the special tool to install. There is also a tool made for removing the old wear sleeve. If I remember right the book says to remove the radiator ect. but I did one a while back and was able to do it without removing it but that's where the special tools help out. Not much room that way.

  4. #41tomcat2014-11-17 20:24

    source of leak... Thanks for all the tips on repair... Check out pics to see what I found. Somebodies "field repair" came loose. No broken bolts. Threads I good shape. New parts in hand.