Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450H

OldMachinist · 2018-10-08 19:22

Pardon the obvious newbie question. Under my JD 450H and looking to change the engine oil. There is an access hole in the belly oil pan cover that seems like I can drain the oil through. There are two "drain" bolts in the back end of the engine oil pan. One sticks straight down from the oil pan and the other sticks straight out the back of the pan a few inches from the vertical one. Which is the engine oil drain plug? What is the other one for? Thanks so much.

Replies5
  1. #1Tractorguy2018-10-08 22:22

    I believe one is for a remote option or a drain valve

  2. #2OldMachinist2018-10-09 21:19

    Tractorguy...I appreciate the time that you took to reply but I really need an answer that will help. Surely someone on here has a small JD dozer that is familiar with the drains on the oil pan???

  3. #3CavinJim2018-10-10 01:29

    Here's the diagram from partscatalog.deere.com 2 is described as "drain plug", but it seems awfully high on the pan for a drain plug! 8 is described as "fitting plug" and two of them seem to fit what you describe. From the looks of it, either one will drain the oil, so take either one or both out and let it flow.

  4. #4Junkyard2018-10-10 01:57

    Bottom, or lowest, would be a drain. The other may be for a different application or perhaps an oil temp sender. We’ve got two Deere powered rigs and they’ve got multiple drains. We have remote drains setup on both. No matter which you take out you’ll get oil. One might drain more than the other. Nothing you can really mess up.

  5. #5OldMachinist2018-10-10 08:55

    Thank you so much! I surer appreciate it!