Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450H

Spiva Const · 2022-01-11 22:32

My 450H is starting to lock up the right side track. It is intermittent and if I raise the tracks off the ground and run the right track back and forth it will work fine. I think it might be the revolution counter on the hydrostatic motor but wanted to see if anyone else has had the problem. I recently replaced the main computer so I’m hoping it isn’t that.

Replies10
  1. #1mg23612022-01-12 05:29

    Serial number? If you look through the little window on the plastic covering the TCU are there any codes. Might want to remove the cover and scroll through the codes (press menu until codes, then press select, then press next to scroll through the codes). Post codes here.

  2. #2Spiva Const2022-01-14 12:13

    I knew I should have looked up the codes first but I didn’t have time to get to the tractor. The only code that came up is F372, which online says it is the right side drive sensor. So I guess it’s time to replace it. I replaced the left side years ago and it isn’t to difficult. Serial # 450HX908032. Thanks for the response.

  3. #3mg23612022-01-14 12:20

    F372 is for the left speed sensor. If your right side is locking up then you would be working on the left speed sensor circuit. The reason? The TCU always slows the fast track to match the slow track. So if the left speed sensor indicates 0 rpm, then the right track is stopped to match it.

  4. #4Spiva Const2022-01-14 12:33

    Thanks for the answer, the internet isn’t always correct. One post did say left and another said right side. I assumed it was the right sensor but your explanation makes sense. I will post an update. I will check the wiring also but everything under the computer cover looks good.

  5. #5Spiva Const2022-01-14 12:37

    Do you think the exercise of reprogramming the computer first would be worth the effort or is most likely the sensor?

  6. #6mg23612022-01-15 05:57

    Most likely the sensor or it's wiring.

  7. #7Spiva Const2022-04-09 23:55

    I finally got around to installing the new sensor and that cured the intermittent problem.

  8. #8hunterdog9672022-09-30 14:43

    d

  9. #9Spiva Const2022-10-02 22:18

    If you have a 450H you will have to recalibrate TCU. The unit is located on the left side above the battery compartment. Under the black plastic cover. You may have a controller that is very oxidized but if you can still read the display you should be ok. You should have a code displayed and those are explained in above posts. You should be able to find the procedure online and it is a little tricky because if you make a mistake you have to start over. My dozer has a ripper bar so I can lift the tracks off the ground to do the runout that is required unless you have a long straight yard to do the runout. If you can’t find the procedure online let me know and I will figure out how to get a copy to you. There are a few u-tube videos that are helpful even if they are for the newer or bigger JD dozers.

  10. #10hunterdog9672022-10-04 06:49

    John Deere 450H TO450HX904848 I bought a tech manual TECHNICAL MANUAL H-Series Crawler Dozer TM1743 07 JUN 04 (ENGLISH) online and cant seem to find fault code list . Can someone tell me if they are in this manual The fault code is F393 and dozer locks up