Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 490e swing brake leak

fotman ยท 2014-06-06 18:05

I have recently purchased a john deere 490e excavator. The swing brake leaks from under the little cap on the top front. I remove the six little allen bolts to check it out and found that the previous owner had installed an oversized o-ring which was cut. I thought oh , quick fix replace the o ring. Well I did this and it still leaks, albeit slower. Is this indicative of a deeper problem? Any solutions?

Replies10
  1. #1lantraxco2014-06-06 21:33

    Are you talking about the shuttle spool cover? O-ring 21? 21 0408006 O-Ring 2 SUB FOR AT153872 Probably need the exact right o-ring and make sure the cover is dead flat and there is no damage to the area where the o-ring seals on the housing. Could be getting some pressure spikes there for some reason, might want to put a gauge on there and see what kind of pressures you're getting in each direction?

  2. #2fotman2014-06-07 06:16

    This O-ring 21 is the one that we replaced. I used a john deere original o-ring and also replaced the 6 bolts. To test the pressure would I get a new cover and drill and tap it or is there a port somewhere already?

  3. #3mikebramel2014-06-07 19:10

    The new Oring you put in has extruded? or was cut?

  4. #4fotman2014-06-09 06:09

    The new o-ring looks fine.

  5. #5fotman2014-07-28 17:17

    Does anyone have any more suggestions?

  6. #6fotman2015-04-17 06:55

    I am still having this problem. Doesn't look to actually destroy the O ring.

  7. #7fotman2015-04-17 06:58

    I am still having this problem . Doesn't actually destroy the O ring. Just somehow leaks around it. Could it be a relief valve problem?

  8. #8Irish in oz2015-04-19 06:34

    By any chance a hairline crack in the cap or maybe when the previous repair was done a bolt was overtigthned and cracked the housing? sometimes them little cracks are hard to see

  9. #9fotman2015-04-22 10:31

    There is no visible crack. I am going to die pen it when our weather clears.

  10. #10fotman2015-05-11 06:28

    I found a hairline crack in the housing. Any ideas where one could be economically purchased? I am located in Nova Scotia, Canada.