Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 490E unable to pull suction screen out of hydraulic tank?

joelx777 ยท 2022-07-25 16:13

I spent an hour today trying to pull out the suction screen from my hydraulic tank on my John Deere 490E excavator without success. The rod has a couple of nuts on the end of it. I twisted it endlessly leftie loosely by hand, and also pulled quite hard on it. Any advice? Here is a video of it - https://photos.app.goo.gl/p9bhXq343JddjkT56

Replies10
  1. #1mg23612022-07-25 17:50

    Pull harder. Get two prybars and place the 180* apart under the nuts and pry up.

  2. #2excavator2022-07-25 20:31

    I have a slide hammer attached to a vise grip that works great for this.

  3. #3James Sorochan2022-07-25 23:46

    The two pry bar method has worked for me.

  4. #4joelx7772022-07-26 00:31

    @mg2361 @James Sorochan @excavator Thank you all for these ideas! I had tried to pry just using my hands and a little bit with a really big wrench, but sounds like it is going to take more than that. I will try your suggestions and report back!

  5. #5joelx7772022-07-28 00:24

    @mg2361 @James Sorochan @excavator thank you once again for your tips. I used a Burke bar and a hammer claw jointly to pop the suction screen right up. It looked clean! Heres my video of what I did-

  6. #6uffex2022-07-28 04:32

    Good day I suggest it is the stuff you cannot see that represents the danger to the hydraulic system. Fluid sample is the safe way to approach contamination. Kind regards Uffex

  7. #7joelx7772022-07-29 00:04

    @uffex could you recommend somewhere to send it?

  8. #8uffex2022-07-29 03:49

    Good day I believe Wear Check is a leader in your part of the world, most if not all check for contamination - oxidation - lubricity and other elements. Important to follow the instructions when taking samples to ensure an accurate result. Kind regards Uffex

  9. #9Nige2022-07-29 06:53

    Your local Cat dealer might also be worth a try. It will be either NC Machinery or Western States Cat depending where in the state you are located.

  10. #10excavator2022-07-29 11:14

    Most oil distributors will have them, also Deere, Cat or NAPA stores.