hello, new to site. I just bought a jd 500 series backhoe/loader. I think it is around 1970. Runs great but the loader bucket has the door (not sure what it is called) and it won't stay shut unless I hold the lever over. Can I fix this by replacing seals in the lever or is it something beyond that. Thanks for your help.
So you have a 4in1 loader bucket? that opens for a dozer blade, or lets you grab rocks. Could be piston seals in the hydraulic cylinder on the bucket, or the control valve itself, or the relief valve in the control valve. One of the easiest ways to check is to shut the bucket, then with the machine off and the bucket on the ground, disconnect the line that closes the bucket and cap it. If the bucket still opens when you run it with that line capped, then the piston seals are leaking.