Im trying to fix a leak in the loader valve on my 1968 500A backhoe. Its next to the hoses coming out of the top of the valve. Its Leaking from what looks like a smooth top plug. Is it a screw in or will i have to remove the whole valvebody and pull it apart ?? Hope this pic helps. Thanks.
Sure there's not a hex recess in that plug? big allen wrench.
That’s what I was thinkin when I played with it a mo ago. Even tried lightly tapping on the center of it with a punch. I’ll look again when I go pull the batts to charge.
Here’s a closer look at the plug. I’m pretty sure there smooth on top.
Looks like control valve on my 410 almost sure it is a plug, if you will type in john deere parts diagram go there and type in 500a it should show a parts diagram under control valve backhoe, hope this helps
Yes, it sure looks flat. I have no idea how that could be.
House Cat. Thanks. I’ve been trying all sorts of searches but no luck. I’ll deff give it a whirl. I’m thinking they couldn’t of used too many diff valve units back then.
Well, this is what I’ve come up with from that site House Cat. But it still doesn’t show the cap or plug over the check valve. At least I know it’s a check valve now.
Just google john deere parts diagram, then should see john deere parts-catalog as one it pulls up go on it and type in model number on the john deere page go by alphabetic order go under c should list and show exploded view of it . And from the color of the fluid coming out looks like it has a lot of water in it and busted that area out if it set out in the rain then froze , jd really bad about leaking around backhoe control boots.
Ya, thats basically what i did. This pic doesnt look familiar from there ?? I went thru the "Model" tab tho. I even called the dealer. They use the same site. & ya.. it needs some fresh blood before winter. Im working it out of it. Its an ongoing process. But harvest has priority now. If it ever quits raining and gets above 40°. Sheesh. It may be a freeze plug as the dealer sugested. But i Deff have to get fresh fluid thru her veins.
Freeze plug? I guess I'm not familiar with that style of valve. Is the leak worse when you activate any functions, or better? If it's on the low pressure side of the valves, I suppose it MIGHT be something that is just pressed in place?
Oops. Sorry Delmer. I thought I sent my response to you. It’s a steady flow. Not at high pressure at all. Kinda ozzes out around that plug no matter what I’m doing. But it is getting worse. Thanks everyone for your help.
Well guys i broke down and bought a svc manual. ($100) I thought. It would give more info on dissasembly & assembly but This is the sectional view it gave. So its just a plug held in place by the cross bolt that ties the valves together as part of a lift check valve. And helps direct oil flow. So its sealed by a couple pairs of o-rings that im thinking are my grief. So im going to have to get that top bolt out to pull the plug out and throw in some new o-rings. I guess time will tell as to weather this can be done on the hoe or if ill have to pull the whole valve assembly. Oh and this valve is shown upside down from position on the machine. Thanks for your input guys. I hope this helps others in the future also.