Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 500C

The Extractor · 2023-07-07 10:43

Hi all, I just picked up a project back hoe. He says the rear hoe is weak but the front loader is 100 percent. Is the problem possibly bad cylinder seal internal or maybe valve body issue or check valve? Any help is appreciated!

Replies12
  1. #1mg23612023-07-08 06:22

    It takes less pressure to run the loader than the backhoe on those old machines. Do you have gauges? Manual TM1038? First thing to check is the charge and standby pressures at the hydraulic pump.

  2. #2The Extractor2023-07-08 13:22

    Thank you for the info. I do have a gauge kit but I haven’t used it yet. I do not have any manuals. I am picking up the machine tomorrow and trucking it home. Previous owner said they recently loaded several big heavy concrete jersey barriers with the front loader.

  3. #3The Extractor2023-07-12 12:06

    I finally got the backhoe home last night. First question is when you start the engine it revs up to max if you don’t cycle the throttle lever. That doesn’t seem correct at all. What is a good source for all the filters? I want to change them all and all the fluids. I also need a seat, mine is unusable. Thanks for any help!

  4. #4mg23612023-07-12 12:11

    The dealer.

  5. #5The Extractor2023-07-14 12:08

    Gee I hadn’t thought of that.

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-07-14 21:18

    If you can get the part numbers you should be able to cross them to other brands. Catalogues from filter makers may list them too. Sometimes dealers have specials so their prices are hard to beat. Never a bad idea to check with the dealer. Things like filters are usually fairly competitive on price and you know they're an approved filter.

  7. #7The Extractor2023-07-18 12:10

    Thanks for that. With my work schedule is it difficult to get to the dealership. So the front frame bolts have been loose and the front left engine mount tab is cracked off the block.

  8. #8Vetech632023-07-18 13:24
  9. #9The Extractor2023-07-20 17:10

    All the machine weights posted online seem to incorrect. I ran it over a scale and it weighed 15860.

  10. #10The Extractor2023-07-21 17:09

    Well my friend was kind enough to pick up all my filters at the dealer on his way home. I’ll start changing them soon. Does anyone have a copy of the service manual TM1038 that they could share or direct me to?

  11. #11Tinkerer2023-07-21 22:01

    Tractor weight ? It depends on where you look for specs. Here is a Tractor Data Link . 15400 to 15600. The amount of fluids will make a difference to. Tractor Data's website is quite reliable for accurate information.

  12. #12The Extractor2023-07-28 17:14

    This ole tractor needs some tlc. The whole front end subframe is loose, tie rods are shot a couple oil leaks and the strange revving up on start up. I found some used rear tires hopefully when I got pick them up they are in good shape. They are bit smaller but it shouldn’t matter.