Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 510B–what kind of ether can does this take

GEM1410 ยท 2020-01-03 14:14

The ether system is mounted above the starter--switch on control panel-- has a base not shown in the picture that pushes the can tight against the injection base on rubber gaskets--it is similar to the system Case used--What kind of ether can do I use--Threaded can or regular can with tip off--Thanks George

Replies10
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-01-03 14:36
  2. #2doublewide2020-01-03 16:30

    I use a freeze plug block heater on my 410d. It was fairly inexpensive, easy to install and only takes about 15 minutes. I hate ether.

  3. #3highwayghost2020-01-03 16:37

    Me too! Search this forum and you'll find many good reasons to NOT use it..... Like this one. HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4GEM14102020-01-04 23:22

    Thats a good idea--Block heater is the way to go--Thanks

  5. #5highwayghost2020-01-05 09:51

    I'm still working on an experiment to install a intake manifold heater on my 580SL for when electric is not available. I have good luck with them on other equipment. Unfortunately it may be spring before I can ever come up with something. No time

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-01-05 10:04

    I wouldn't hesitate to use an ether injector that was designed and installed by the manufacturer of their engine.

  7. #7GEM14102020-01-05 21:37

    Tinkerer--I am going to try the factory installed injection system--looks like a regular can without a tip--I am missing the round piece that goes between the can and the injection point--any idea on a part number 4--i cannot make it out on your picts--thanks for all the work

  8. #8Tinkerer2020-01-05 22:40

    Just click your curser on the image and it will explode, er enlarge and you will be see things very well ! The gasket is available on Ebay,---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere...870550?hash=item341d6b4c56:g:3C8AAOSwgeZeD7qo Here is a link to the parts book. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/70628/referrer/navigation/pgId/12546

  9. #9fast_st2020-01-06 07:02

    Just put a Katz ether system in a 644E loader, when its below 20 it sure makes starting a lot easier, following the oem instructions, 3-4 seconds of cranking and then give the button a poke. The Katz system was put in place of a destroyed oem ether system.

  10. #10Tinkerer2020-01-06 07:54

    I didn't know aftermarket ether injectors are available. Very handy to have when you are alone and starting a machine that, when you turn the start key and can't reach the air cleaner at the same time.