Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 510C Loader/Backhoe

Marten · 2023-12-22 16:10

I have a new to me 1988 - 4800hrs - JD 510C that will not start, the batteries are both at 13.2 volts. No lights, no horn with key on or off. Checked fuses all are OK. I have a hard copy of the the Operators manual and a PDF of the repair/technical manual of course neither have the electrical schematic. Does anyone have a copy of the manual with an electrical schematic in it or a link to one? I've searched the web and can not find one. I have started it it several with no problem beforehand, lights and horn worked fine. Thank you in advance Marty

Replies4
  1. #1Acecadet2023-12-22 17:15

    You are looking for TM 1468. I don’t have one to share with you but I’m sure there are online sources.

  2. #2Delmer2023-12-22 17:21

    You don't need a diagram for this. The power goes to a relay under the monitor panel on the right side, lift that cover off and see if there's power at the key switch, if it's sending power back to the relay, and if the relay is making contact and sending power on. Fairly easy to see the power wires, they're larger and red. I can get a picture if it doesn't make sense when you look in there. The relays are a common failure, but don't forget to check battery voltage, and then at different points along the way, including to ground at various points, basic electrical voltage testing.

  3. #3Marten2024-04-02 14:00

    Delmer, after accessing the switch there is no voltage at the large red wire (10AWG?) coming off of the relay to the switch. There is a high current disconnect switch for main machine power and there is voltage present after the switch. I suspect there is a large red (10AWG?) wire on a main power lug on the starter motor that feeds the relay/start switch. I have yet to confirm this but it is typical of most automotive main feeds of the day. The service manual I have does not cover starter motor remove/replace/rebuild to indicate if there is a feed to the main panel relay (Red 10AWG). It does cover R/R/R for the alternator though lol Thanks for your input.

  4. #4Marten2025-09-08 17:29

    Del, the problem was the ignition switch. I discovered a new problem. Even though I have the switch for the fuel tank selector on AUX it is still taking fuel from the main tank. I have all 3 manuals - operator, test and service and none references how the system operates. I'm going to start a new thread about it.. Thanks for your help.