Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 510D Split Bushing Removal

zmountain ยท 2015-04-11 12:10

I am attempting to remove a split bushing from my John Deere 510D Backhoe. The bushing holds the pin in place for my bucket cylinder where it attaches to my dipper arm. I have tried pounding the pin over to one side to relieve the tension (no luck). Heating the bushing slightly with a torch to slightly bend inward (no luck-but i didn't super heat it). Has anyone come across this type of bushing? See the attached image. Any help would be greatly appreaciated!! ZMOUNTAIN 1980 510D John Deere Backhoe

Replies5
  1. #1lantraxco2015-04-11 13:20

    Many winters ago I too faced such an enemy. As I recall the procedure was to thread the bolt in as far as it would go and then rap smartly on the bolt head with a smallish hammer, I liked a twenty pounder in those days. Mind you many bolts met their end this way. If you can find a piece of pipe or tubing that will slip over the bolt and inside the bushing that might be helpful also, just long enough so the bolt doesn't bottom in the threads. You should only have to move the pin a few thousands and the split bushing should spring closed a bit and slip out with your fingers or a magnet. That's what it says in the book anyway, if I remember right. Good luck, Lanway

  2. #2zmountain2015-04-11 19:43

    Got it out. Thanks Lanway! That did it. I cut a small piece of pipe, about 3/4 shorter than the treads on the bolt, slipped it on the bolt and tightened it down without the washer. The short pipe met with the pin but went through the tapered split bushing. Then, I took a 20lb'er and banged away. The pin and opposite bushing became to deep for the bolt, so I used a 6" piece of 3/4 pipe, had a helper hold it and banged it on through. The side i hit went in further and further, pushing the opposite side out. I had to hit it many times but after a water break or two, it came out. The bushing never relaxed enough to pull it out of the outside of the ear, so I had to push it inward and removed it from the center of the ears after the cylinder was removed.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-04-11 21:43

    Good job!

  4. #4zmountain2015-04-19 19:50

    Photo of the pin in questions Here is the pin and tapered bushings removed for anyone else stumbling across this post. Putting them back in was nothing like getting them out.

  5. #5lantraxco2015-04-19 23:15

    Yeah, that's the problem with those things, every time you hit the pin you expand the bushing. The bushings are supposed to spring closed when you move the pin back a few thousandths so you can just pull the bushing out with a magnet or screwdriver or whatever. I don't think the engineers take into consideration what twenty years of constant stress does to those bushings, lol. Cheers :drinkup