Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 5325 valve adjustment

dirtdobber1 ยท 2013-07-31 21:42

Hello all, I'm going to help a friend out with his 5325 tractor. It has a knocking / missing noise at idle, and we are going to start by checking the valve clearance. Can anyone out there tell me the clearance specifications and any other particulars regarding setting the valve clearance? I have overhauled a few diesel engines, but that has been a very long time ago. I don't know where technology has gone. Thanks in advance.

Replies2
  1. #1dirtdobber12013-08-07 21:27

    Cancel that request. This tractor has a five cyl engine with a non-adjustable valve train - hydraulic lifters. They've change a lot since the 80's.

  2. #2Delmer2013-08-07 23:05

    I'd try to isolate the injectors to see if disabling one of them improves the knocking noise. Couldn't find nothin on this engine other than it may have "unit" pumps, not sure if that's individual like a deutz or what, but you may be able to crack an injection line, or hold down a lifter to disable each in turn. Could also see if the noise improves with warming up, running it hard for a while, or running some bioblend (just don't let it sit in there for long!)