Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 550G LGP Bubbles in Fuel Filter

Lamborghinina ยท 2013-06-06 21:07

I have the 550G that has been sitting for a while, about a year. Been trying to get it running solid but I just cant. What happens is that it will run for 10-15 min start revving high and low likes its lacking fuel and then die. If start it after a few minutes starts up fine then dies all over again. Its one of the most annoying problems I have ever encountered. I changed the fuel filter changed the fuel pump. check the lines, I don't see any cracks or leaks. Put fuel additive to the diesel to remove any water and rust that's built up. When it begins to shut off I see a lot of bubbles in the glass fuel filter. Where the hell they are coming from I have no idea. Is it that or could it be something else. P.S (one of the hydraulic cylinders for the blade has a leak, but but I no if it would stop the engine. Also, took out the old diesel in put new diesel in then added the additive)

Replies20
  1. #1Delmer2013-06-06 22:54

    Classic Deere dirty tank, I'm guessing. What did the old diesel look like? Did you flush the tank? pressure wash it? burn it? half kidding on the last one. The fuel outlet (from the tank to the pump) on the tank should be removable to clean the junk off of the screen. If that doesn't fix the issue, run a temporary tank until you can clean the tank, or run a 1/2" or larger hose to a filter base and then to the pump. If you figure out a good way to clean the tank let us know. edit: you could also pressurize the tank to find out where the leak is that's letting air in, but if you solve the suction issue you won't have a problem with air.

  2. #2oldtom2013-06-07 04:02

    hi have you tryed to bend the tabs that hold the glass fuel filter to the alum/ housing, did you replace the filter with a new one ,the rubber grommets get hard over time, also check mesh screen in the fuel lift pump.

  3. #3Lamborghinina2013-06-07 08:31

    I flush out all the old diesel dont really remeber what it looked like. I will try running a temp tank and see if it works.

  4. #4Lamborghinina2013-06-07 08:33

    I got a new fliter from the john deere parts store. I try to bend the tabs. But does the pump Really create enough pressure to push that off and force air in.

  5. #5kenworth2013-06-07 08:59

    I had the same problem with a Sullair Air compressor with a JD engine and this filter setup. There is a kit that I got from Pape' Machinery in Kent Wa that addresses this problem. My friend who is a mechanic there knew about this through some sort of Technical Service Bulliten or Shop Tip that JD had put out along time ago. I installed this on the engine and it took care of the problem.

  6. #6Lamborghinina2013-06-07 09:31

    Whats in the kit?

  7. #7kentuckyboy2013-06-07 14:35

    I have had the same problem. Turned out to be trash in the fuel tank. With the engine running it work suck the trash up to the fuel screen in the tank. When the engine died the trash would move away, the engine would start and do it all over again. Took the tank off and had it steamed cleaned. No more problems.

  8. #8Delmer2013-06-07 18:31

    Isn't that filter pressurized? The air is getting in on the suction side of the transfer pump. Start with the tank, or any screen on the suction side of the pump.

  9. #9Lamborghinina2013-06-09 10:03

    I cleaned the tank, changed the diesel, checked the lines for leaks, changed the pump a few months back, changed the filter a few months back and gave it a cleaning today, and a still get these damn bubbles. I think the the housing for the filter might be the problem, what do you think? Its either that or I got a defective fuel pump.

  10. #10Delmer2013-06-09 10:37

    I'm not positive on yours, but on my Deere backhoe of the same age, the transfer pump sucks from the tank and pumps under pressure through the glass filter and to the injection pump. While it's running the filter is pressurized, so the bubbles are not coming from the filter. Probably a cracked rubber hose, or loose/cracked fitting, or unlikely the suction side of the pump. The air leak could be a symptom of a clogged line. Did you check the screen in the tank, and any other screens? Did you run it off a temporary tank to see if the bubbles go away? even stick the fuel hose in a gallon jug of fuel to run for a minute should clear up the bubbles. Otherwise, to find the leak, pressurize the fuel tank until you see the damp diesel spot, tee a vacuum gauge into the suction line to see how clogged it is, or if there's a priming lever on the transfer pump, see how it pumps immediately after it dies, you can tell the difference between pumping, pulling suction, and pumped up from the lever.

  11. #11Lamborghinina2013-06-09 10:47

    I dont have any screens I have a sediment bowl on the bottom of my tank. I drained out of the diesel from there any got all the rust and junk out. Ran more diesel through to make sure I got everything. I took out the lines from the tank to the pump and pressurized it with my air compressor in a bucket of water and saw no bubbles. Wiggled it and everything but nothing. Does not make any sense.

  12. #12Delmer2013-06-09 11:02

    Doesn't make sense to me either, but I'm 1,000 miles away. I'm just looking at JDparts.com diagrams, they show a screen in the tank, but no sediment bowl. They show a priming lever on the transfer pump, try that when it dies. Or if the pump is below the level of fuel in the tank, just disconnect the hose at the pump and see if fuel drains freely. FIRST establish that you have enough fuel getting to the pump, THEN check the pressure getting to the injection pump or other possiblilities. Also the JD diagram (and mine) shows a separate "sump drain" that drains the lowest part of the tank, the fuel supply is usually off of the bottom.

  13. #13Lamborghinina2013-06-09 11:39

    Yes, sump drain is what I mean to say. Diesel flows freely. Not sure excatly how the fuel pump is set up but if the gasket it bad would that be letting air. (The one that attaches it to the engine).

  14. #14Delmer2013-06-09 11:46

    No. It is possible that the suction side of the pump is sucking air, but again, do you know that the pump is getting enough fuel? Is the diesel flowing freely from the hose disconnected from the suction side of pump immediately after it dies?

  15. #15Lamborghinina2013-06-09 11:55

    So you want to to turn it one wait till it dies disconnect the hose from the pump and see if diesel flows freely. Do I have that right?

  16. #16Lamborghinina2013-06-09 12:28

    This should help you understand my problem. take note of the engine noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV24t9IrDMk

  17. #17buckfever2013-06-09 15:16

    I would get a clean plastic fuel can and run a hose directly to the transfer pump. Strap the can to the hood and run it for about ten minuets. If you still get the bubbles it would have to be the transfer pump. If not you can start connecting the rubber fuel line from the plastic can to the main fuel line until you start showing bubbles again. Don't forget to check the fittings for cracks.

  18. #18Delmer2013-06-09 15:34

    I agree, the engine surging sounds like running out of fuel. I couldn't tell for sure, but that is the suction side of the pump right? That sounds like sucking noise when you first open it up, that's the smoking gun to me, a couple of seconds after the motor stopped turning and there's still that much vacuum in the fuel supply. The flow of fuel didn't look too bad, but the suction is the important sign. I was thinking a clogged screen (because that's what I had) but I've heard of collapsed rubber hoses, a screw inside a steel line, and even lead balls in the fuel tank, all doing the same thing yours is.

  19. #19alaskaforby42013-06-09 16:48

    Had the exact same problem a month ago on my JD Excavator. Exact same. I got a new filter, greased up the o-rings a little so I got a good seat. Then parked it at crazy angle so that the bleeder screw was actually on top and not just on the side and while it was running cracked it until all the air was bled out. Also make sure the bleeder screw o-ring is still good. This solved it for me. Good luck

  20. #20Rod7972013-08-16 08:46

    After changing my fuel line (braided rubber...) filter (twice) and lift pump I was still getting bubbles in the filter. I disconnected the fuel line at the tank and put on a short piece of hose and used compressed air to blow back into the tank (after loosening the fuel cap). Whatever was blocking the line was apparently blown back into the tank and the fuel began flowing freely. The tractor runs great now. At some point I will have to remove the tank and clean it out. I am curious to see what was blocking the line.