Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 570A 1982 motor grader tndan drive oil fill cap

Phil P · 2026-05-27 11:21

Hell All I have a recently purchased JD 570A S/N 570A405570ODW. I am in need of locating the oil level plug and filler cap for the Tandem drive. Our older on 1964 has a filler in the top center there is not even a plate on this one at that location. Phil P

Replies9
  1. #1Diesel Dave2026-05-27 17:53

    Tandem top cover with fill plug was removed at 570A sn # 002210 . See screenshot from parts catalog below.

  2. #2Phil P2026-05-28 11:05

    Hi You are correct we have a 1964 570A and a 1982 570A. Our 64 has the filler on top. The plug you point out is the drain plug. I have the Technical manual and the operator or Owners manual. Here is a picture from the operators manual of the late model configuration tandem drive house just out board of the Differential housing showing the new location of the filler and the level check plug. The later model one did away with the filler and use only the level plug for both filling and checking the level. How ever they are not located there on this machine. Here is a picture of the 1982 unit tandem housing just outboard of the differential housing. Each Housing carries 5 gallons of fluid. Each Housing carries 5 gallons of fluid. So I think I will drain the housing do the seal repair on the rear wheel and then remove one of the top plates and just fill it with 5 gallons of oil. Phil P

  3. #3Diesel Dave2026-05-28 11:32

    So you are saying there is no oil level plug on the tire side of the tandem housing between the rear tires ? Screenshot below from the 570A operators manual OMT78880 .

  4. #4Phil P2026-05-28 16:59

    Hi I have to replace the seal in one of the axles I will let you know what I find after I drain the oil. I have the technical manual and the owners manual and the bot labeled that plug as the drain plug. Phil P

  5. #5Phil P2026-06-09 10:30

    Hi everyone Here is what I have found. Drained the oil from the tandem drive by removing the plug marked “Level Plug’. Removed the rear tire, hub and the outer housing. A good deal more oil drain out. We then cleaned the housing until completely dry. This left some oil in the front portion I would guess maybe 2 qts. Checked the bearings and found them to be good, replaced the oil seal and re assembled the rear exile. Filled the unit with 5 galleons of 80/145 gear oil. This puts the oil level well above the “Level Plug” referenced by the manual. So the manual may be wrong in the sections that says the tandem drive holds 5 gallons of oil I can see that level with that plug would have the oil at the bottom of the sprockets on the axle shafts. Phil P

  6. #6Nige2026-06-09 10:44

    Provided the oil level is up to the bottom of the large sprockets so that the chain will run through it and splash oil everywhere you don’t need it any higher IMHO.

  7. #7Clyde Hathaway2026-06-09 17:11

    I have a 1976 model 570A and the book I have says fill with 5 gallons of hydraulic oil meeting john Deere j20c oil specs. Same as the hyd/trans system requires. SN3112-T.

  8. #8Phil P2026-06-10 06:11

    Hello Nige It’s good to hear from you. You are so correct I just finished a rebuild of the circle drive and I ran it with the cover off it is surprising how much oil the worm gear pulls up on top of the big gear when running. Phil P

  9. #9Phil P2026-06-10 07:18

    Clyde Hathaway I have an old manual That calls out the 303 this oil has been discontinued because it was made of a compound that included Sperm Whale oil. I also have a manual that is apparently newer than the one calling out 303 and it calls out 90W oil. SO I just used a multi wt gear oil. I don’t see where it would mix with the tractor or transmission hydraulic system. I prefer the heaver lubricants on the chain and sprocket or gear system that are enclosed from the dust element. The stuff that is out side the hydraulic or light weight oils applied more often help keep the dust and dirt from accumulating. Phil P