Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 590D idler noise

John Wiesemann · 2020-09-17 06:34

My 590d that I purchased this spring had a new idler installed. That track side has been noisy since I bought it. Yesterday I noticed that the inside face of the idler is all shine from wear. I new to track machines. Does the idler have a bearing? Is it one unit? Is there adjustment or shims? thank you for any help

Replies9
  1. #1Vetech632020-09-17 07:52

    Pics of what your seeing would help. There could be multiple things that could be going on (failed idler bushings, misalignment, worn track frame, bad wear strips, or even an incorrect idler).

  2. #2John Wiesemann2020-09-17 08:36

    When I get back on Saturday I will post a couple pictures.

  3. #3uffex2020-09-17 10:59

    Good day This was an unusual experience that was also noisy some of the time. Kind reagrds Uffex

  4. #4John Wiesemann2020-09-19 17:19

    The Shiny side is on the inside. Any ideas?

  5. #5Bls repair2020-09-19 20:46

    Have a rock jammed in with all that dirt?

  6. #6John Wiesemann2020-09-19 20:51

    No I don’t think it would shine it up that much and make a metal to metal noise

  7. #7uffex2020-09-20 04:09

    Good day John The photo only shows one side of the idler if on the inside it showing more signs of wear it may well be down to a bad recoil spring. Kind regards Uffex

  8. #8John Wiesemann2020-09-20 07:19

    I am guess there is no way of telling until I get it taken apart. I really don’t know how to take it apart. I guess when things slow down I will have someone take it apart

  9. #9uffex2020-09-20 09:38

    Hi John If you post a photo of the inside of the track frame idler surface we may be able to tell if indeed this is the issue - to fix you have to split the tracks see attched - the idler and spring assembly simply pulls out of the frame - getting the spring turned is best left to a track shop. Kind regardss Uffex