Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere 650g

10hotrod16 ยท 2012-10-31 09:50

yes can anyone tell me why my steering is soooo hard on my 650g dozer? It wears my legs out pushing the pedals so hard. (desperately leg cramps)

Replies7
  1. #1Tennmogger2013-01-21 16:23

    I recently purchased a JD 650G. It's my only experience with a (sorta) modern dozer so I am no expert. My 650G was also hard to turn because the brakes were adjusted so tight the clutches didn't release. The engine loaded down every turn, especially to left side. I backed off on the brake linkages to allow the clutches to fully disengage before brakes engaged, and it's a pleasure to drive now. The manual has good adjustment info. Clutches should disengage with about an inch of pedal movement, then brakes should engage with about 11" of measurement from bottom of pedal to firewall. Hope that helps. Bob

  2. #210hotrod162013-01-22 12:02

    Thank you bob, ill try that

  3. #3Tennmogger2013-01-24 12:58

    Has your 650G ever shown a 'no transmission hydraulic pressure' fault when you started it after sitting a while? I only saw this once and don't recall the exact verbiage. After a few seconds the fault cleared. The error was not the 'restricted filter' error often seen when temps are low, hydraulic fluid is highly viscous, and the dozer is first started. You are one of the few 650G owners on here, apparently, or the others never give problems! thanks, Bob

  4. #4lobo2013-01-26 07:16

    My 450G is also very hard to steer. My brakes grab rite at the top. I now realize that I am turning by braking one side. I should be turning by disengaging one side and letting the other side bring me around. I cannot wait to back the brakes off to see if this helps. I have owned this dozer for two years and love it except for the steering. Thanks Randy

  5. #510hotrod162013-01-26 09:01

    As soon as i can get it off the job site, im gonna adjust mine aslo. I hope this is our problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  6. #6Tennmogger2013-01-26 09:51

    Of course the adjustment access is the larger removable plug on each side. Moving the adjustment wheel with a screwdriver accomplishes the change. This could help too: Left side 'up' to tighten, and right side down to tighten. Of course you move opposite that to loosen the linkage, the goal. I use the phrase "left up-tight" to remind myself, if you can excuse the political implication, he he. I discovered the adjustment wheels were easier to turn if the dozer was running. Just 4 'clicks' were needed to loosen the brakes sufficiently, on mine, but who knows what your starting point is. Bob

  7. #710hotrod162013-01-26 17:45

    Thanks for the info bob, if this fixes mine, i'm gonna send you a steak dinner certificate for two to any resturant of your choice!